Diawa No-7850H-RL

Started by Donnyboat, July 01, 2016, 05:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi Donnyboat here, from Western Australia, first post, an old mate just gave me An old Diawa reel No 7850H-RL, on the spool there is an old gold sticker with blue letters-hard to reed, Anadized spool- anti-chip & something finish.inside the housing the figures 2030-2, know other name on it, can anyone give it a name for it & what year, also how much line I may fit on it thanks. say 40 LBS brade, i have stripped it down washed it out, re lubed it, runs nice smooth, heavy but solid. thanks Don W.
Don, or donnyboat

Porthos

http://www.jimmie-g.com/vintage-reels-1.html

Use browser's "Find" on page function for "7850H-RL"...

cbar45

Quote from: Donnyboat on July 01, 2016, 05:39:29 AM
Hi Donnyboat here, from Western Australia, first post, an old mate just gave me An old Diawa reel No 7850H-RL, on the spool there is an old gold sticker with blue letters-hard to reed, Anadized spool- anti-chip & something finish.inside the housing the figures 2030-2, know other name on it, can anyone give it a name for it & what year, also how much line I may fit on it thanks. say 40 LBS brade, i have stripped it down washed it out, re lubed it, runs nice smooth, heavy but solid. thanks Don W.

Hello,

Aside from the number, there was no given "name" for that reel or its series.

Model 7850 is an update of the very first Model 785, which was steel-blue in color and introduced sometime during the mid/late 60's.

Later models of the 70's-onwards were either a light tan or dark brown, and ranged in size from the heavy 7850, to the ultra-light 7150.

The suffix H-RL on your reel stands for a High-Speed gear ratio (4:1), and a Right or Left hand retrieve.

Silver sticker should read "Anodized Spool, Anti-Chip and Corrosion Finish"

Figure around 300 yds. of of 20 lb. mono, give or take a few depending on line lay.

These old Daiwas served me well for light-medium surf fishing.

Dependable, durable, reels as you noted--though one might re-consider using braid on them; the line-lay pattern with thin braid can be prone to tangles and wind knots.

Secondly--braid is tough on gears--and the 7850's main gear is only a moderate press-fit onto the shaft. I've had that gear loosen fishing heavy mono and probably too much drag.

Reel still worked, but with slightly more than the usual amount of play in the handle due to the above.

Still a good reel fished within its capacity. Swapping the single soft drag washer for one of greased CF is a great upgrade.

chad

Donnyboat

thanks Porthos & Chads, you blokes are great, good stuff, most of me fishing is droping of our boat, thanks Don W.
Don, or donnyboat