Newbie advice for Newell 440

Started by Swami805, July 01, 2016, 02:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Hello, I have 2 Newell 440 that are narrowed to 322 (1 5/8")size one machined from stock Newell parts( thanks Jerry) and one with a tuburon frame and spool. They have 5-1 drag kits. I plan on using 80lb braid and floro for a kelp cutter rig. So what's likely to break?  Is there a gear upgrade I should install? I have a no letter 440 with 2 dogs that I could put in but I read a lot that the single dog isn't likely to fail. Thoughts?  Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

The Newell gears are some of the strongest gears available.  You will be just fine with the stock gears.  The reels should be good to go.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Swami805

Thanks, they're ceramic boca bearings. I'm using speed x, I see some are packing  bearings with grease. Should I continue using speed x? I have reel x too and have been using cals grease for all the other parts.
Good to know about the gears, I was thinking I should get a new set  of ss, saved a few bucks, thanks
I've had 3 p series since they were new, I've been selling most of my other reels and buying Newells. One of the few reels I have confidence in cracking open. It's getting addicting.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

ReelX is a fine lubricant.  It's not as thick as others, and may wash out easily.  Lube periodically and you'll be fine.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D