Frame Upgrades for Penn Mariner 49 - Be gentle please - I'm new :)

Started by p-man, July 05, 2016, 09:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p-man

I apologize if I'm asking something that may have been discussed to death, but are there any aftermarket frame upgrades for the Penn Mariner 49? I also want to upgrade the drags and understand that HT-100 series is the most practical option. I know that there are new handle/knob options out there but I'm not sure what to look for - does the 49 take the same handle as any of the Senator series? I have (2) reels that I want to upgrade.

Thanks in advance for any info and all advice is especially welcome.

P-Man

steelhead_killer

I am not aware of a frame upgrade.  You can use the Pro Challenger bars.  CF drags from smoothdrags.com.   Handles are determined by the drag sleeve size and they are different between Senator models.  The Penn 49 uses the 98-60 drag sleeve.  You could upgrade drag sleeve to SS.  The best place to verify the handles is on Mysticparts.com under handles.  Curious how you are using the 49's?

Andy

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
><)))">

spc7669

I've used the handles and blanks from Smoothdrag and have nothing but good things to say about them. Drag washers too. You are at the right place for Penn info. Mike literally wrote the book on it.

p-man

Andy, I use them for wire line trolling (soft SS), mostly in green water (50ft-75ft) for king mackerel. 

steelhead_killer

I have two Aluminum Spools for the 49 if you want them.  I bought them some time ago and decided to keep mine with the metal spool for the shelf.  Two for $30.00 plus shipping.

Andy
><)))">

thorhammer

Refresh my memory,do those fit 149 also?if so I'll take them if our man here doesn't want them for wire line (no experience personally but penn makes steel spool for wire senator because aluminum not best in that application. 

RowdyW

p-man

I apologize but I've been overcome by events the last couple of weeks (grandkids are in charge). I do not need spools - both have the chrome-plated brass spools. Subsequently, I have acquired a 349 that has the upgraded spacer bars - now I'm looking for any type of reel stand upgrade for both models.

Ron Jones

The 49 I think uses the 501 stand. If so you can usually find  Newell stand on the bay.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

The 49 being narrow and having 6 frame posts doesn't flex much. I have heard George mention the foot being damaged on some, (George is very knowledgeable on Penn reels ), but me personally, I haven't seen any damaged stands on that reel.
I have seen a few bridge posts come lose, this is why I gave it a shot replacing the 3-49 bridge with the 3-349.
Here is the link, I'm not asking you to try it, just pointing out the weakest link on this reel ...just my opinion.
Enjoy it, it's somewhat entertaining:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6197.0

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.