Favorite Fishing Books

Started by spc7669, July 05, 2016, 11:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spc7669

After seeing the thread on classic rods, and having ordered Mike's book today, I'd like to start a thread about everyone's favorite fishing books. I collect all kinds of outdoor books and have found many for less than a buck at antique stores and yard sales.

I can't name an absolute favorite, but Tales of Swordfish and Tuna by Zane Grey sits high on the list.

I hope some of your posts will give me some new titles to search for.

Thanks,

Patrick

Penn Chronology

My favorite is ""Saltwater Fishing Tackle"" by Harlan Major. First printing is in 1939 by Funk & Wagnalls Company, New York and London.

Bryan Young

Fishing Hawaiian Style, 1, 2 and 3 by Jim Rizutto. He is also a very well known lure maker and Kona fisherman.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

spc7669

Mike,

I did a little searching and found the following description of a copy of your favorite book for sale...

Item Description: NY 1939., 1939. Drawings by F.B. Junghans, 9.5 x 6.5", cloth, 284 w/ index, a nice copy. FIRST EDITION, INSCRIBED & SIGNED BY THE AUTHOR "To Franklin Roosevelt, with tight lines from one fisherman to another." ROOSEVELT'S PERSONAL COPY, SIGNED "FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT, THE WHITE HOUSE" WITH FDR NAMEPLATE ON SPINE. Bookseller Inventory # 78-201

$1750.00 and it's yours. It's pie in the sky for me, but what a book to add to the shelf!

There are, however, quite a few nice copies under 50 bucks including some that are signed.

Patrick

Wally15

One of my all time favorite "outdoor" books is "The Old Man and the Boy" by Robert Ruark. About a small boy coming of age while fishing and hunting with his grandfather in NC in the 20's and 30's. If you've never read it, I highly recommend it. Some tremendous "life lessons" are learned from the Grandfather.
I have probably owned 10 copies of that book. I'll loan it out and forget who I loaned it to. Or give it as gifts to young people.
I'm slightly prejudiced in touting this book. I also grew up in NC (in the 50's and early 60's), and I had a great uncle who often took me hunting and fishing and tried to impart some adult wisdom on me. With varying degrees of success, I might add.
Mike Pate

Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea" is another classic.
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Aiala

The Compleat Angler, Izaak Walton. Captains Courageous, Rudyard Kipling. Also The Perfect Storm, by Sebastian Junger.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

spc7669

Since you mentioned the Old Man and the Sea, let me throw in "Kon Tiki" by Thor Heyerdahl. I have an old schoolhouse copy of this book I paid about 40 cents for at an estate sale. One of the best narrative adventures I've ever read.

I was in Southport, NC and couple weeks back and saw the Robert Ruark house. I wasn't able to do a lot of digging into his relationship with that town, but hope to in the future.

Aiala, I'm a little ashamed to say that I haven't ever read The Compleat Angler.

Penn Chronology

QuoteItem Description: NY 1939., 1939. Drawings by F.B. Junghans, 9.5 x 6.5", cloth, 284 w/ index, a nice copy. FIRST EDITION, INSCRIBED & SIGNED BY THE AUTHOR "To Franklin Roosevelt, with tight lines from one fisherman to another." ROOSEVELT'S PERSONAL COPY, SIGNED "FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT, THE WHITE HOUSE" WITH FDR NAMEPLATE ON SPINE. Bookseller Inventory # 78-201

$1750.00 and it's yours. It's pie in the sky for me, but what a book to add to the shelf!

This is my favorite book, inscribed to my favorite president. WOW! There is a very significant factor concerning this particular copy. Harlan Major was a very important contributor to the troops during WW II. Here are a couple of little statements about him,

"""...Harlan Major & His Fishermen, a group of volunteers who spend their spare time in a basement workshop in his house, at 115 E. 35th St., reconditioning and preparing fishing gear for the Army & Navy stationed any place outside the U. S. that offers good fishing."""-------------------New Yorker magazine, April, 1944

"""...Harlan Major was a superb tackle technician and a gifted entrepreneur of saltwater angling...With the advent of World War II, Major began a campaign to ship free tackle overseas. The basement of his New York City home became the clearinghouse for huge amounts of donated equipment and supplies that were sorted, repaired and packaged by volunteers."""-------    

Mr. Major was responsible for sending massive amounts of free fishing tackle to our troops stationed in the Pacific during the war. His contribution to fishing tackle and the sport of saltwater fishing cannot be overstated. So this particular copy signed to FDR (War Time President) copy of his book is very special. Thanks for mentioning it. It is pie in the sky for me too; but, it is nice to know it is being preserved by a collector somewhere.

Penn Chronology

QuoteAiala, I'm a little ashamed to say that I haven't never read The Compleat Angler.

I have never read the work either; but, I do mention it in one of my unpublished works:

"The Complete Angler, was a study of sport fishing from his own personal experiences and experiences of some of his friends. It was first published in 1653. For the next 25 years, Izaak Walton continued to add to his original work. Many updated editions were written by Mr. Walton before his death. The fifth edition of The Complete Angler was written in 1676 and had grown the work from its original length of 13 chapters to 21 chapters, but his death did not mark the end of his work in the marketplace. The Complete Angler has never been out of print. I do not know how many editions of this work exist but over 300 years after the passing of Mr. Walton, The Complete Angler is still being published, as a matter of fact, the last edition I know of was released in 2003 and is currently for sale online. Izaak Walton was a pioneer in terms of documenting his fishing techniques and satisfying feelings a fisherman may have about our sport."

I must get a copy of this book in the near future, I just have to figure what edition I want.......................................... ??? ???

Aiala

Patrick and Mike, I'd probably go for the latest edition... I mean, why not?  :)

"Izaak Walton was a pioneer in terms of documenting his fishing techniques and satisfying feelings a fisherman may have about our sport."

Very true! Now, obviously Walton never fished for YFT, dorado, shark, etc... as I recall he and his fellow "brothers of the angle" caught fish with odd names such as "tench", "dace" and what have you. I found it all fascinating, especially his philosophical musings about fishermen: ...Who were (as most Anglers are) quiet men, and followers of peace; men that were so simply-wise, as not to sell their Consciences to buy riches, and with them vexation and a fear to die.

Truly great reading (even for non-English majors!)  http://anglicanhistory.org/walton/angler/   ;)

~A~

spc7669

Mike,

That little piece of history was awesome! I had never heard of Major until you mentioned him. I found four or five books he wrote, most of which were on fishing. I will definitely have to look further.

Aiala, as the son of an English teacher, our current abuse of the language thanks to pop culture and texting is very sad. I do love these old books and the authors who wrote carefully and thoughtfully.

Patrick

Dominick

I have to weigh in with Goadby, Peter. Saltwater Gamefishing: Offshore and Onshore. North Ryde, N.S.W.: Collins/Angus & Robertson, 1991. Print. This book lists almost every game fish and how to fish for them.  The book also includes detailed descriptions of the game fish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Quote from: spc7669 on July 06, 2016, 04:17:15 PM
Aiala, as the son of an English teacher, our current abuse of the language thanks to pop culture and texting is very sad.

UR rite.  >:(

~A~

spc7669

I'll offer up another which may be slightly out of place on this forum. A Passion for Tarponby Andy Mill.  He's the five time winner of the Gold Cup and the book is an exhaustive work on the fish and how to fish for them. It has some of the most beautiful photography anywhere.  If you love tarpon, it's a must have edition to your library.

Penn Chronology

QuoteQuote from: spc7669 on Today at 08:17:15 AM

Aiala, as the son of an English teacher, our current abuse of the language thanks to pop culture and texting is very sad.

UR rite.  Angry

LMAO---------------------------------- ;D