Favorite Fishing Books

Started by spc7669, July 05, 2016, 11:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

Tommy Gifford's book, he was there in the formative years of big game. He is on the right in the tuna photo, taken in the exact same spot as my avatar in Wedgeport NS.  Check the building in the background.  Interesting read, can be had for short bucks on the net.
Doomed from childhood

CW33919

This thread - like so many others on AT - is a true gem.  Thank you all so much for the excellent recommendations.  So much knowledge and wisdom here, absolutely incredible. 

If I may add a few other titles for your consideration, I'd suggest Phillip Wylie's Crunch and Des stories.  When I was a kid in the early seventies, no trip to Papa and Granny's house was complete unless I dug through Papa's garage looking for treasures (of course when you are 10 years old almost anything qualifies as a treasure).  This is where I discovered almost a quarter of a century's worth of the Saturday Evening Post which he kept in wooden Quaker State boxes on a shelf - and that is where I discovered Crunch & Des.  Even as a kid, when I read those stories I could imagine the taste of salt, the feel of the sun and wind in my face; dreaming of pulling a monster over the rail.  It was a magical thing to be transported from a musty garage to the pitching deck of the Poseidon heading out through Government Cut for a day's fishing.  I'm thankful that magical feeling has never left.

Also, of more recent vintage I would humbly recommend two books whose subject matter deals with two places that have left indelible marks on my life and that of so many others who share a passion for fishing - The Outer Banks of North Carolina and the Florida Everglades. "Hatteras Blues: A Story from the Edge of America" by Tom Carlson and "Totch: A Life in the Everglades" by Loren G. "Totch" Brown. If you give 'em a read I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Best regards and thank you all again for sharing what you know!
Chris
'I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and have learned much from both of their styles"

oc1

Quote from: CW33919 on February 26, 2020, 10:40:56 PM
I'd suggest Phillip Wylie's Crunch and Des stories. 
Remember the Crunch and Des TV series?  About a charter boat operation.  God, I loved that.
-steve

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Brendan

I recently finished this by Captain Mark Wisch. Great read if you've spent much time at Catalina.
In The Gray. I can't correct the photo orientation.
Tight lines, Brendan.

UKChris1

It might not be my favourite, but I must recommend "Calling All Sea-Fishers' by Alan D'Egville - makes you chuckle when you see yourself in so many of its pages!

The other one I love is 'Crash Strike' by Cullen and Hemphill.

Just two of the too many to mention.

mark Hill

My first four favorite books were all on bass fishing ---                                                                     
 101 Bass Catching Secrets by Roland Martin                         
 Bass 'N Objects by Bill Dance                                                                                 
 Them Ol' Brown Fish by Billy Westmorland                                                                     
 Lucas on Bass.                                                                                               
 ...Soon after I became a Lifetime Member of B.A.S.S.
"Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, and he will start collecting and refurbishing old reels"