Carbon Fiber Drag Material

Started by nipsip, March 14, 2011, 10:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nipsip

Sold in Sheets

AvCarb®Carbon Fiber Products Carbon Drag Washer Material from Ballard

www.ballard.com/files/pdf/Spec_Sheets/Fishing_Case_Study.pdf

mackereljoe

Looks great, but didn't see prices or ordering information.  Also, don't have confident in my ability to cut and trim this things.

Makule

Kind of an old thread, but did anyone find a reason not to just cut brake disks our of carbon fiber sheet material when the needed size is not available?

Here's another link with prices.

http://dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=66
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Nessie Hunter

I have done it several times, not hard to do and easy to cut & shape...

I think Dawn at Smoothedrags was offering sheets of Carbontex ???
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Makule

I have a couple of old Shimano Beastmasters I'm working on for a customer.  They are the  130 size and the brakes need changing.  Will try the carbon fiber w/ grease and see how it does.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

Being in NZ and a long way from anywhere, I often cut and customise CF drag washers.
I get the basic dimensions and shape with my wife's dressmaking sissors, then perfect it with a file and/or grinder.
Works great... Which reminds me, I need to order another sheet. ;)
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: redsetta on February 24, 2012, 09:19:00 PM
Being in NZ and a long way from anywhere, I often cut and customise CF drag washers.
I get the basic dimensions and shape with my wife's dressmaking sissors, then perfect it with a file and/or grinder.
Works great... Which reminds me, I need to order another sheet. ;)
Cheers, Justin
Yikes! If I got caught using the wife's scissors, she'd do some trimming of her own and I know I wouldn't like it! ;)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Quote from: norcal pescador on February 25, 2012, 03:16:55 AM
Yikes! If I got caught using the wife's scissors, she'd do some trimming of her own and I know I wouldn't like it! ;)
Probably in the Lorena Bobbit style.   :'(  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Ouch!...Thanks for the warning guys. I better stop messing with her stuff, I'm not done using my tools just yet ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.