Olympic Dolphin Reel

Started by Longislander, July 07, 2016, 10:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longislander

Hi all-

So, I'm a new member and I happened across this site while looking for some info about this handsome Olympic Dolphin 621-LW I recently acquired. I fished with it a few times, then suddenly the anti-reverse feature broke, and the handle now turns backward. I took it to a local shop and the gentleman there said he didn't have/ couldn't get the parts he needs to fix it. He returned it to me (no charge!) with the broken spring and the brass piece in the photo, which he had removed from the reel. I assume these were the problem.

I have a couple of questions: I've been fishing my whole life but I never took apart a conventional reel so I'm intimidated. Is this something I can tackle on my own?
Also, can the part(s) be fixed somehow, or do I need new parts for this? How would I go about trying to locate replacement parts?

Any input would be appreciated. I feel like if anyone would be able to help, you guys would.

Again, I am new to this site so my apologies in advance for any errors or breaches of etiquette.

handi2

I think the best thing to do its get a donor reel from eBay. These were decent reels made in Japan in the late 70's and 80's.

Penn drag washers will fit the reel but I don't remember the exact size. They are small.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Longislander

Thank you Handi2. Good suggestion.

philaroman

yeah, Dolphins are pretty much the most common olympics still in circulation -- with a little patience, you should be able to find the same model w/ a different mechanical problem:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Fishing/1492/i.html?_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=Dolphin+%28621%2C621lw%29&_sop=15

also, olympic was the OEM for K-Mart & Sears, so there may be a few models which are virtually identical to your reel...  most likely K-mart 107/207/307 are red Dolphins that are even cheaper:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=%28kmart%2Ck-mart%29&_sop=15&LH_Complete=1&_osacat=179950&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X%28kmart%2Ck-mart%29+%28107%2C207%2C307%29.TRS0&_nkw=%28kmart%2Ck-mart%29+%28107%2C207%2C307%29&_sacat=179950

Longislander

Dominick

Hey long gallon.  you should be able to make a new dog.  just trace it out and go to work with a file. the spring looks good but you can make your own.  search this site for redsetta.  he posted a thread on how to make springs.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Great thought, Dominick --

Sometimes just a file to sharpen the angle on the end of the dog will do the trick -- along with a good spring you can cobble together.

Unfortunately, these reels are of average to a little less in quality in regards to function and parts quality.

When they merged with another Japanese company that made camera parts in the early 90s -- they just sort of faded away.

5% of the reel manufacturers are still in business from the last 40 years -- the rest are a tiny dot in our rear view mirrors.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Like yourself I've had little confidence in reel disassembly/repair/assembly. The only things I had going for me was the desire to do the actual work myself and to be OK with making mistakes. I still don't wanna do the pre-fishing service after I pay 150$ + for a new reel, but I got it down to 4-5 uses before I tear "most" of it down, greasing everything I should, to make sure it'll last longer in saltwater. Try one of the Penn tutorials for basic conventional reel methodology. Mistakes may make you lose a little, but it's FUN and I'll bet you'll gain more'n you lose.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Longislander

Thanks guys for your input. I will let you know how I make out.