Shimano catala 301

Started by rippin_lips, July 08, 2016, 01:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rippin_lips

I'm new on here so first off, hi everyone. I've always fished spinning reels and recently decided to dabble in baitcasting. I didn't want to teach myself on an expensive reel so I picked up a couple ebay finds. This one is the shimano catala 301. I fish with spinning reel handles on my left hand so the left handed baitcaster feels more natural to me. The reel looks clean on the outside and I took some pictures as I cracked it open.....and I figured out how to post pictures.

rippin_lips

The outside was clean. The only real issue I found was a rusted anti-reverse bearing. I used some reelX and cleaned it up and it functions.

MarkT

I still have a Corsair 300 and a Catala 300.  I had 2 Corsairs but traded one back to Shimano for the Catala when they were doing the free upgrade.  I haven't used either one in more than 10 years but I'm a pack rat and rarely get rid of anything!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

rippin_lips

I oiled bearings with reelX, greased drag washers with Carl's and greased gears with blue penn grease. All and all the insides look good other than some plastic parts. I haven't decided if I will add smoothdrag washers or do anything with the rusted anti-reverse. The corvalus uses many of the same parts and replacement roller clutch assembly is like $20. The reel seems to function smoothly but I'll have to give it a good whipping on some redfish and snook.

MarkT

If it's just surface rust on the ARB you might be able to disassemble it, clean it up, reassemble it, and have it good to go.

oc1

I had never seen a plastic bushing under a Shimano cast control knob.  Makes sense I guess since there is a ball bearing on the spool shaft. 
-steve

rippin_lips

Quote from: MarkT on July 08, 2016, 06:11:12 PM
If it's just surface rust on the ARB you might be able to disassemble it, clean it up, reassemble it, and have it good to go.

The only problem I foresee is getting it out, any suggestions? I used a little reelX and a towel to spin it around and it functions. I'm probably going to fish it and see what happens.  Maybe sometime soon I'll take another crack at it.

rippin_lips

Quote from: oc1 on July 08, 2016, 08:42:50 PM
I had never seen a plastic bushing under a Shimano cast control knob.  Makes sense I guess since there is a ball bearing on the spool shaft. 
-steve

It seems like a decent design and most of the parts seem sturdy enough. The plastic bushing could be easily replaced with a bearing, but it still has a plastic yoke so I don't know how much money I would want to put into it. Maybe there are some inexpensive metal replacements for the plastic parts? Would it be worth it? I don't know.

rippin_lips

The line guide seems to be plastic and doesn't have an insert. I planned on using braid, and the previous user had braid on the reel. It seems the braid cut some grooves into the side of the line guide. Is this line guide not meant for braid? Should I just use it or maybe replace it? Thanks for any help.

oc1

Shimano baitcasters have always had plastic yokes, but they do not do as much heavy lifting as yokes did in older designs.  Are you sure there is not a black insert in the levelwind guide?  If you drag a needle point around the guide and can feel grooves then I'd worry.  Finding a replacement would be difficult unless you can find a parts reel or if the guide from an old Calcutta also fits a Catala.
-steve

rippin_lips

Quote from: oc1 on July 09, 2016, 09:06:20 PM
Shimano baitcasters have always had plastic yokes, but they do not do as much heavy lifting as yokes did in older designs.  Are you sure there is not a black insert in the levelwind guide?  If you drag a needle point around the guide and can feel grooves then I'd worry.  Finding a replacement would be difficult unless you can find a parts reel or if the guide from an old Calcutta also fits a Catala.
-steve

There is no insert I can see. There are obvious grooves worn into the guide I can see them with my eye. The newer corvalus is almost the same and many of the parts are the same so maybe the line guide from that will fit.

oc1

They have different part numbers but look the same in photos.

A guy in a LMB forum said the levelwind insert popped off on his catala.
http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/9-tackle-box/79433-shimano-catala.html

-steve

rippin_lips

So the line guide from the newer corvalus/cardiff doesn't work as a direct replacement. The hole for the stabilizer bar is slightly smaller and the threads for the panel cap are smaller. Anybody want to sell me a line guide for a catala? Otherwise I'm going to have to modify the newer line guide to make it fit.

MarkT

They do have an insert in the levelwind.  Can you see it in this picture?  My Catala 300 is in better shape than your 301.  I'll sell you the line guide... It comes with the rest of the reel! I still have the box it came in too. You cover the shipping and you can have it. I don't think it's seen the light of day in 15 years. I used it with 12# mono (p-line CXX) so the line guide is in good shape.

Bryan Young

The line guide looks like the same as a Calcutta?

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D