musky rod spiral/ acid wrapped, long transition or short transition guides ??

Started by steelfish, July 25, 2016, 03:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

all parts are already ordered and just waiting for them, before I started interested on rod building I was just thinking to change all the guides and follow the same guide set up of a 9ft surf fishing rod wrapped with spiral guides and made the same configuration on my musky rod.

but I have seen many pictures of acid wrapped rods and most of them the transition guides are spaced as normal just the offset degrees nesessary 0, 60, 120, 180 to made the transition to the bottom but in mine the transition guides are really close to each other.

this is a common acid / spiral wrapped rod

this is mine, its factory made fenwick 9ft 15-30 line M-action, 2 sections HMX IM7 salmon rod   
check the transition guides, all transition is made in 14" by 4 guides, stripping guide is on 8" mark and last transition guide is on 22" all of them separated by 4.5" and then a normal guide spacing is used 12", 11", 9.5", etc. etc

this is how the line goes on the guides with just 1 lb as weight

doesnt look that bad, although I think they could've be arranged better

well this is the same rod and my musky rod at the top
the musky rod which is way stiffer that the surf rod, has 2 guides in the same spacing on which the spiral guides on the surf rod has 4 guides fitted there.

this is how the musky rod bends with the same 1 LB weight
the musky rod specs are 20-50line 2-6oz lure XH M8 graphite.

the pictures where just ilustrative to help you guys to now the facts and help me on my next question.

on my musky rod should I follow the same spacing on the guides than stock factory guides spacing just turning the new guides few degrees to make the transition or its ok the copy cat the same spacing used on the salmon rod and fit 4 transition guides on the same spacing of the 1-2 guides ?

I will use the musky rod on saltwater to cast 2 and 3oz Kroc spoons, 3-4oz jigs and such to spanish macks, cabrillas and everything that our local inshore fisheries have to offer.

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Alex, PM Jon Vadney, he is the expert on acid wrap and what transition will work best for your application. Super guy.

Surf rod looks good.

John

Jon Vadney

That looks like it is some sort of a double-bumper style setup.  Traditional bumper setups have all of the guides spaced normally, the stripping guide is on the 0degree axis, the rest of the guides are on the 180 degree axis, and then at the midpoint between the stripping guide and the next guide up, you place a guide on the 90 degree axis.  The guide train looks awkward but it works and is great for very parabolic rods that won't be used for casting (vertical jigging rods, downrigger rods, etc).  If you plan on doing much casting, I would forego the bumper-style and do a standard transition with 4 guides rotating the 180degree axis.

Do not follow any formulas or guide-wheels or anything like that.  What you are looking for is for the line, when the setup is viewed from the side, to make a straight path from the reel to the bottom of the rod, when the rod is fully loaded up.  Essentially you are looking for the line to go through the transition guides at the point that is closest to the blank.  You don't want the line to be angled between the guides, you want it to look straight when viewed from the side.  Static testing is the only way to achieve this, no formula will work.

steelfish

Quote from: Jon Vadney on July 26, 2016, 02:24:33 AM
If you plan on doing much casting, I would forego the bumper-style and do a standard transition with 4 guides rotating the 180degree axis.

.....................  You don't want the line to be angled between the guides, you want it to look straight when viewed from the side.  Static testing is the only way to achieve this, no formula will work.

thanks Jon, you have put some things more clear to me know.

The Baja Guy