accurate versus avet

Started by alantani, March 17, 2011, 08:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

http://dev.coastsidefishingclub.com/showthread.php?t=18340

here's my take on accurate and avet......

think back to the early days of bob franko and the old marine warehouse. the original small accurate boss reel started out with a single anti-reverse roller bearing. these failed with the same regularity as their shimano and daiwa counterparts. shimano and daiwa had already answered that concern with a backup dog. accurate answered with a double stack of anti-reverse roller bearings. i bought a full set of these "second generation" accurate boss two speeds when they were hot off the presses 5 years ago. still, they had problems, so my "second generation" boss reels abandoned, discontinued, within several years. yes, the reels that i own are no longer being made. the "third generation" boss extreme series was introduced, with a drive shaft that had twice the diameter, and an anti-reverse roller bearing that also had twice the diameter. note, however, that these extreme reels only have one anti-reverse roller bearing. who among you thinks that this might be a problem?

ok, all reels could have problems. so what was so good about the early accurates? simple, they had two drag washers that nearly double the drag range, at a time when all we had was mono. they also had TWO right side bearings that nearly eliminated side load. that meant that you could still crank the handle with almost no resistance at these outrageously high drag settings. think about it - double drag washers, two right side plate bearings, and twice the price of the equivalent sized avet. but is it worth it? hell, yes! these were the only pocket rocket reels that were able to take full advantage of the new "spectra" that was introduced 10 years ago.

the only reels? at the time yes. what about avet? the early sx, mx, jx and lx were apparently designed 10 years ago with monofilament in mind. they had only a single drag washer and a single right main side plate bearing. they delivered half to one third the drag of similarly sized accurates, at half the price. but wasn't spectra introduced at the same time? yes, it was. with spectra suddenly delivering 5 times the performance as monofilament, it meant that the avet sx, mx, jx and lx were basically obsolete the day they were introduced. they were really suitable for monofilament only, but that was ok because they were half the price of similarly sized accurates. even when avet raise the ante with the raptors, they still only "doubled" the drag washers. cranking resistance continued to be a problem because they still had only one right main side plate bearing.

so where does that leave us? the new accurate extremes have two drags, two right side plate bearings, and one anti-reverse roller bearing with no back up. the new avet raptors have a functional "double drag" system, one right main side plate bearing, and a totally reliable single "silent dog" anti-reverse system. and the are the same price.

so how about this. what if we make our own reel? that's right, made to order. let's have two functional drag washers. let's get a double silent dog system. let's skip the anti-reverse roller bearings because they have a 100% 5 year failure rate. let's throw in a thrust bearing that totally eliminates side load at nearly any range. that means no resistance at almost any drag setting. let's say that we will ask okuma to make it for us. they've been getting kicked in the teeth for years now, so maybe they will listen to us.

and let's call this new reel a makaira......

oh, not affilliated, etc.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Roger

"The Makaira" huh, seems like there are quite a few people jumping on Okuma's bandwagon...........
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

mohamedhashem21

Quote from: alantani on March 17, 2011, 08:28:24 AM
http://dev.coastsidefishingclub.com/showthread.php?t=18340

here's my take on accurate and avet......

think back to the early days of bob franko and the old marine warehouse. the original small accurate boss reel started out with a single anti-reverse roller bearing. these failed with the same regularity as their shimano and daiwa counterparts. shimano and daiwa had already answered that concern with a backup dog. accurate answered with a double stack of anti-reverse roller bearings. i bought a full set of these "second generation" accurate boss two speeds when they were hot off the presses 5 years ago. still, they had problems, so my "second generation" boss reels abandoned, discontinued, within several years. yes, the reels that i own are no longer being made. the "third generation" boss extreme series was introduced, with a drive shaft that had twice the diameter, and an anti-reverse roller bearing that also had twice the diameter. note, however, that these extreme reels only have one anti-reverse roller bearing. who among you thinks that this might be a problem?

ok, all reels could have problems. so what was so good about the early accurates? simple, they had two drag washers that nearly double the drag range, at a time when all we had was mono. they also had TWO right side bearings that nearly eliminated side load. that meant that you could still crank the handle with almost no resistance at these outrageously high drag settings. think about it - double drag washers, two right side plate bearings, and twice the price of the equivalent sized avet. but is it worth it? hell, yes! these were the only pocket rocket reels that were able to take full advantage of the new "spectra" that was introduced 10 years ago.

the only reels? at the time yes. what about avet? the early sx, mx, jx and lx were apparently designed 10 years ago with monofilament in mind. they had only a single drag washer and a single right main side plate bearing. they delivered half to one third the drag of similarly sized accurates, at half the price. but wasn't spectra introduced at the same time? yes, it was. with spectra suddenly delivering 5 times the performance as monofilament, it meant that the avet sx, mx, jx and lx were basically obsolete the day they were introduced. they were really suitable for monofilament only, but that was ok because they were half the price of similarly sized accurates. even when avet raise the ante with the raptors, they still only "doubled" the drag washers. cranking resistance continued to be a problem because they still had only one right main side plate bearing.

so where does that leave us? the new accurate extremes have two drags, two right side plate bearings, and one anti-reverse roller bearing with no back up. the new avet raptors have a functional "double drag" system, one right main side plate bearing, and a totally reliable single "silent dog" anti-reverse system. and the are the same price.

so how about this. what if we make our own reel? that's right, made to order. let's have two functional drag washers. let's get a double silent dog system. let's skip the anti-reverse roller bearings because they have a 100% 5 year failure rate. let's throw in a thrust bearing that totally eliminates side load at nearly any range. that means no resistance at almost any drag setting. let's say that we will ask okuma to make it for us. they've been getting kicked in the teeth for years now, so maybe they will listen to us.

and let's call this new reel a makaira......

oh, not affilliated, etc.

hello alan :)
i like this website everyday more and more :)

i know this thread is very old but the topic attracted me very much :)
from what i read i find that your final result wass the MAKAIRA! does this means that the makaira has the advantages of both? or i'm not understanding well??
are the material from which the makaira is made are as good quality as accurate or avet ?

thank you:)
mohamed hashem

mohamedhashem21

and aren't the new accurate atd produced with thrust bearing?

alantani

alantani

Quote from: mohamedhashem21 on August 13, 2012, 12:26:02 AM

hello alan :)
i like this website everyday more and more :)

i know this thread is very old but the topic attracted me very much :)
from what i read i find that your final result was the MAKAIRA! does this means that the makaira has the advantages of both? or i'm not understanding well??
are the material from which the makaira is made are as good quality as accurate or avet ?

thank you:)
mohamed hashem
[/quote]

right now, i think that the makaira is the best production reel available!

mohamedhashem21

thank you alan for your much help:)
i've ordered a 50wii makaira and waiting for it :)

alantani

i think you will be very happy with it.  remember that no reel is perfect and that any reel can fail over time.  that is why it is important to maintain your own tackle. 

mohamedhashem21

Quote from: alantani on August 14, 2012, 04:26:49 PM
i think you will be very happy with it.  remember that no reel is perfect and that any reel can fail over time.  that is why it is important to maintain your own tackle. 
thanks Alan for your advice, i already maintain my old reels and I've learnt a lot from your tutorials
thanks again :)

Nuvole

Anyone put Penn into these comparison as well ;-)

alantani

when you get to this level, these reels all perform well if properly maintained.  that's the trick.  they have to be properly maintained.   :-\

mohamedhashem21

alan is right :) you have to maintain you reel and it will last forever i love penns and i use them from long time ago i have a penn senator from more than 30 years (used to be my dad's then he gave it to me) and with the good maintenance you'll not be abble to differ it from a new one i bought it from a year we also have an international 80wT from more than 20 years it's a great reel  and it works well the reason that i want to buy a different brand is that i don't feel that there is a big difference between the old and the new international series (no thrust bearing no offset handle) but i believe that they are great reels

mohamed hashem