Truth Reels Review from Real User

Started by pwall1988, July 29, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwall1988

I am new to the forum but not new to forums. I've been reading Alan Tanis post for some time now and have huge respect for the site. Thanks for the real reviews and pictures to show. It helps us dummies understand the reels much better.

I have been fishing Release/Truth reels for some time now. I started off with a Release LG fishing for inshore species on the east coast. I now own the SS, SM, LG, SG, and LGN. I wanted to give a true review of the reels from real hand experience from the field. Let me start off by saying, I absolutely love the reels! I really don't have many negative things to say. There is some minor issues I would like addressed but nothing to deter me from purchasing more. First con would be the clicker on the SM. The clicker is easy to engage during a fight but a simple change of how you hold the reel when fighting the fish fixes that problem and doesn't really affect the way I fish. Some people cannot get over this but for me its a small issue. My second con is the clicker, it's loud enough but not loud enough for me. One thing that attracts me to Accurate is their clickers. You can hear a Accurate clicker from a mile away. As a pier/surf fisherman, the clicker means a lot to us. It's loud enough but can be louder. Those are my 2 cons for the line up. The pros definitely out weight the cons. Lets start with the Warranty that got me to even look at the reels in the first place. It peaked my interest! I've never had to use the warranty but the reviews are great! Peace of mind goes a long way for me. A friend of mine that had a original release SM had to do some warranty work due to his knob getting sticky. He never serviced the reel and decided to send it in. They sent his reel back basically brand new and installed new updates made to the reels. My buddy never asked for this but they did it anyway. It's cool to know these guys actually care about the product. The SM for the surf is a beast! I can cast further than I ever have. The places that I fish require long cast sometimes. It can be the difference of catching and not. The SM is a dream to cast and has so much drag. For the first time, I started using braid for the surf. Why you ask? because the 20lb mono line cannot handle the drag. So I stepped up to 65lb braid and wow! Once you get use to throwing braid, catching fish is a dream! You can really catch some big fish on this little reel from the surf! Including the pesky sharks! So overall I love the reels, the pros out weigh the cons. I can find cons on every reel I have ever owned. We all like to nit pick but at the end of the day, I trust my Truth reels to get the job done.

pwall1988

More pics

pwall1988

more pics

pwall1988

more pics

pwall1988

Just a couple fish I've caught on these reels! Proof is in the pudding.

conchydong

Excellent review and pictures. Welcome to the forum.

Shark Hunter

Great post! Thanks for Sharing and Welcome to the forum. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Thanks for the information and photos.  Welcome to the site.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

pwall1988

David Hall

Awesome stuff you are really giving  the reels a test.
Welcome aboard!

Tightlines667

Nice!

Those are some quality Redfish there.

Welcome to the board.  Don'the be afraid to post more.  We don't bite.. well at least most of us don't :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rancanfish

Well I missed pwall's original posts but got to play with one of these reels this afternoon.  I was dropping off a Penn 27 I upgraded for a friend that works at a local sporting goods store here. (AL spool, CF drags, new bars, bigger handle & lube).

But back to the Truth reel.  I was struck by the complete light-as-air feel primarily.  I was told it has 20+ lbs of drag stock.  hmmmm. 

The handle blade had a huge cut out in the middle.  My first thought when he told me he was gonna go kelp fishing for Yellow Tail?  That aluminum handles gonna fold.   ;D

I bit my tongue (and hope I'm wrong).  I have never been south of Monterey so what do I know about tuna.....

I would definitely try one though.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

pwall1988

Yea, I agree. I do not like the standard handle on the SM. I forgot to mention, I upgraded the handles on both of my SM reels to the SG handle. You get more leverage and its solid. I think the handle that comes with the SM caters to old school casters that prefer that type. I am not old school at all so I prefer the longer handle.

Bryan Young

Pwall1988,

Thank you for your pinion. I had one of their first reels from a trade and I liked it.  I like the clicker position from their first generation than their second generation as I was having similar issues.  Like you said, not a deal breaker.  Some of your photos are made for Truth's reels advertisement.  You may want to contact Wes and Justin about a Pro-Staffer status.  Who knows...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

Hey, I suspected you might be an NC homey when I saw that  Pirate Nation shirt (which you can keep, Go Heels!), but confirmed when I saw BIP and what has to be OBX on old drum. Great write-up and even better pics!!! Where are you located?

John