Truth Reels Review from Real User

Started by pwall1988, July 29, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PERRO

I'm still waiting for the 2 Rods (10 ft ) I ordered to arrive @ my Home.

I decided to swap out the Casting Rod I normally use with my " Diawa Lexus 400 ", and head on down to the Pyramid lake. It was late in the afternoon , when I arrived at the Lake.

The Reel felt good & Cast very smoothly with the " Savage Trout ( 3 1/2 ounce ) Swimbait Lure ".

However, the larger " Savage Trout Lure ( 10 1/2 ounce ) Swimbait ",  was more of a LOB, than a cast. Hopefully the new 10 ft Rods will be easier to cast with ..?

I didn't really expect catch anything, as they haven't stocked Trout @ the Lake recently.

But, I'll be back, when my new Rods arrive.

P.S: My wife was a bit startled,.. with the unexpected company that drop by ..A buck & doe.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

pwall1988

PERRO

Wow, that is some amazing looking spots to fish and the baits you are using are blowing my mind! Pretty cool and I'm sure the guys from Truth would be happy to see the reels used in so many ways. I never would've thought an SM would be needed for swim baits but your pictures have changed my mind. VERY COOL!!!

When it comes to rods , I have some suggestions. Idk what your price range is but if you want the absolutely best rod for throwing those lures. I would suggest looking into some Century rods. They specialize in getting the most distance for baits from the beach. Sling Shot series most likely has a model that will fit you. Go check them out, I love my Sling Shot 1449 but its 12 foot that might be too long for what you do but they have plenty of options.

Thanks
Paul

Rivverrat

Those Savage baits are useful for many types of fish. The most life like action of any bait I've seen....Jeff

PERRO

Quote from: pwall1988 on October 17, 2016, 01:31:26 PM
PERRO

Wow, that is some amazing looking spots to fish and the baits you are using are blowing my mind! Pretty cool and I'm sure the guys from Truth would be happy to see the reels used in so many ways. I never would've thought an SM would be needed for swim baits but your pictures have changed my mind. VERY COOL!!!

When it comes to rods , I have some suggestions. Idk what your price range is but if you want the absolutely best rod for throwing those lures. I would suggest looking into some Century rods. They specialize in getting the most distance for baits from the beach. Sling Shot series most likely has a model that will fit you. Go check them out, I love my Sling Shot 1449 but its 12 foot that might be too long for what you do but they have plenty of options.

Thanks
Paul

The Striper bite @ that lake ( Pyramid Lake, CA )  usually revolves around the Shad & DFG Stocked Trout. I don't like fishing in Temps above 100 degrees, which is normally when the Stripers are chasing after Shad (Summer ) . The only downside of fishing in Fall & winters ( Trout Plants ) is the howling winds to deal with.

I checked on the " Century Rods " before ordering any rods. But, they don't offer/list any " 10 - 11 ft Surf Rods ", rated for " 10 + oz Weights "
http://advancedfishing-usa.com

After a bit of research, I ended up ordering an " ABU GARCIA 10'- 1"  Fantasista Beast ", which seems to be favored by Musky Fishermen tossing large Lures.  
http://www.abugarcia.com/abugarcia-rods-casting-rods/abu-garcia-fantasista-beast-casting/1373580.html#start=3

I also picked up an " OKUMA 10' Surf Rod ", which is rated for " 3 - 8 ounce " weights.
http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/rods/surf-jetty/solaris-surf

Okuma Solaris Surf Rod, last Rod on the left.

The area I normally fish from is in the lake Boat Launch / Harbor area, which has approx 800 + yards of walkable shoreline.

That particular area in the background ( Rocky Slope ) has been a bit difficult to cast from, using Spinning Surf Rods ( 10 ' - 12' ).

I'll be heading back to test / tryout my two new Rods @ Pyramid lake.

thorhammer

Wow Perro, the Century is a long distance casting Cadillac to be sure, but I really like the Abu. Never seen that one before. Tight lines!

pwall1988

Gotcha, I'm amazed at how heavy those lures are. 10 oz where I fish is a ton of weight! Hopefully you get to fight some fish soon.

Monofil

Hello everyone,
As an avid angler, My time off shore is limited, although I did find the extra time for the years of wide open WSB bites out at the Channel Islands.
On a 1.5 day trip aboard the Tribute on 10-17, I  have a personal observation to share, for what it is worth..

During the VIRUS, I jacked up all my Newell reels with custom 6 stack drag and pretty much one can do to such reel with many variations.
Right place, at the right time, with the generosity of Rich/Bob at Tiburon & Randy Pauley, put several limited production run 300 and 200 series extra narrow spools and frames. My go to's.

During that time, I also acquired a new quiver of Grafighters for offshore accompanied by Avets n Accurates. 

The trip on the Tribute, a
 1st rate opperation,and finding out Bill Poole built and operated that vessel, was just that much more since I have read so much about him at a young age as with the buzz from San Simeon to Point Loma via WON.

As for my thoughts,it will be about reels for now.

Great day on the water, went 3 for 6.
As I told the Deckhand, Sorry I don't get out much. But that day, all runnin this operation told me I had the hot stick,goin 3 for 6. I did mention to them, I am very greatful for this day as I was looking straight up at the one who makes all things possible. Yhen went on to tell the crew that I will practice more, when I get out.

3 farmed and 2 on the deck on a Grafiter800MH w/ Newell G332F narrowed with a kit from Tiburin that narrows the reel to a 322.
Holds 400 yds. 50# Braid- 100 yds.30# mono. No problems..
The third fish on the deck, was caught on the same type of rod, but the reel was a Avet Raptor JX w/ 400 yds. 50# Braid - 100 yds 40# mono. All fish were caught on 30# floro w/ #4 Gamagatsu Ringed Nautilus hooks.

I have fished mostly Newell all my life, since I was brought up in the 91201...

Got the Accurates, Penn,,Shimano, Diawa,& ect, and I find my self coming to the same realization and conclusion about, for instance, offroad..

At this point in our evolution,  things are so well engendered. Including R&D, fabrication, and mass production by the finest brains that love to fish. Plastic mold injection,Aerospace,  and others throw there hat into the ring to provide us with the "Hot Setup"

I feel it comes down to this, my old, Jacked, Newell provided me with the satisfaction of not only putting together the reel I used, but it did not break during the challenge of those 30 min er so battles. Even after I screwed with them....

The Avet was neet, with the 2 speed, I can't wait to use he Accurates on the Cows.

As with something from 40 yrs. ago or 2, if is not kept up in good condition it will fail. Deveoping & keepin up my old Newell reels is 1/2 of the fun for me. The other half is to still have the abilitie and vintage equipment to fish with all these new wonderful reels.

Did I tell you about the Sabre 530, I bought at Sportsmart in Glendale,  back in the day...
For another time.

Vie Con Dios

Isn't life less about answers, than getting to the answer? That is why you steal yourself for the journey.

Socrates-