Flamboyant Delmar 285 Gets A Makeover

Started by mo65, August 01, 2016, 06:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Every metal part on this reel was corroded badly...as can be seen by the first photo...but one look at those plates and I saw right through the years of neglect. It had potential.

I cleaned it up as best I could, and the end result was what you see in the photo below. Just not a good look for such flashy plates. Many old reels wear that "genuine character" so well, but this thing screamed to be dressed up.

I struggled for days with what to do with it...a used but clean look? Mint shiny parts? Stock parts? Aftermarket bling? ??? ::) :-\  I finally decided what I liked best was a wider look using Longbeach 65 parts.

I think the SS spool goes great with these plates...don't even miss bling rings!

The red/yellow swirl handle knob matches the red and yellow plate specks perfectly.

Although she'll only be a dust collector, I still went over the internals and was surprised at the complete lack of wear on the insides, this reel was never used!

All that corrosion had to be from sitting somewhere in a surf spray, likely in the shade, since the plates weren't faded.

Judging by the Plates...that place must have been some hippie surfer's front porch! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Steve-O

in the most laid back surfer hippy accent - " duuude, I'm really digging those hip side plates, man.  They remind me of a trip I once took,man, on the way to a Jefferson Airplane concert." 8)

Bill B

Good lookin reel Mo....as an aside, my family used to travel up and down the California coast in the 60's and 70's...everytime we passed through Santa Barbara those hippies would be in the grass center divider holding up signs "San Fran" looking for a ride....man that was a long time ago....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

I live in Santa Barbara and all those hippies are still here! They come out of the woodwork every year for the Summer Soltice Parade. The hitch hiking stopped a long time ago when they took out the traffic lights on hwy 101.
Beautiful reel, nice resto-mod. It makes me want to buy the really old crusty ones that come up to see whats under the grime. Nice pictures too.
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Mattman NZ

You've done an excellent job on that Delmar 185 Mo - I own a few myself and by changing posts and long beach reel seat by mistake turned it into a 186 .

Rgds

Matt

Jimbippy

Sometimes I fix it cuz it's broke, but most times I fix it cuz I broke it!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

49Freak

Agreed, that's quite a transformation! I still might fish it though just so I could look at it when nothing was biting.  ;D

Alto Mare

beautiful reel, well worth the effort on restoring it...great job!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

coastal_dan

Agreed, these plates are gorgeous.  I've seen a #14 Atlantic in a similar pattern...

Well done sir ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

sdlehr

Nicely done, Mo! There's a subtle beauty to those mottled side plates that defies explanation. I've got a few but none with the reds and yellows like this one has. Great save!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer