penn international 50 sw spool corrosion

Started by alantani, January 05, 2009, 12:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

QuoteSat, 1/3/09, Randy wrote:

Hello Alan.  I hope you don't mind but here are some  photos of my EBay buy.  Maybe not such a good buy.   Would you look at the spool and tell me what you think?  The guy obviously didn't rinse the reel the last time, and there is corrosion on the reel from the salty line.  The good news is the drag looks OK to my eye, and I've since greased it with Cal's grease.  The exterior has minor signs of corrosion from not being rinsed the last time, actually found some salt crystals.  On the spool I'm worried about the corrosion on the sides, not so much on the spindle.  I'd better not spool this reel anyway!  There are a couple of spots that I'm worried might chafe the line as it is rough when I run my finger over them.  I was thinking of using some 1500 grit wet paper and taking the corrosion off, with the color no doubt.  I'd rather have a functional reel.  Randy

randy, honestly, i think your're fine.  unless you strip off all the line, you really can't ever rinse a spool adequately.  and if a fish ever takes you down that far, that little bit of corrosion on the spool will be the least of your problems!!!!!  so, you've got the rebuild post to go through the 30.  the 50 is almost exactly the same.  after you've serviced the reel, i'd put a wrap of black electrical tape around the arbor of the spool, string it up tight with spectra, and tie on your topshot.  you should be good to go.  hope it's ok, i'd like to add your question and photos to my website.  also, you know the drag washer looks more like one from a penn 12 international than a penn 50.  thanks!  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!