Some of Us Have These -- Whether We Admit It -- Or Not

Started by foakes, August 08, 2016, 04:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

While cleaning up some Bellville washers this afternoon -- I used a wire wheel on the grinder.

Had an idea to try and clean up some old rusty tools that had been in drawers for years --

These had come from yard sales, under spare tires in trunks, old tool boxes, bottom of stows in boats, old tackle boxes, and who knows where else?

Half do not even open or close -- they are frozen with rust.

Took the first 3 -- spent maybe 5 or 10 minutes on each one -- used a little penetrating oil -- then a little all purpose synthetic oil -- and look what was discovered...

Some really nice old brands that work perfectly now -- Crescent, Proto, American Tool, and others.

Seems like these have always been just tossed aside for the latest half price sale at Sears -- no more...

Many of these are great tools -- good steel, and solidly built -- no wobble like the Harbor Freight Asian tools.

As good as they were 40, 50, or 75 years ago.

They operate, grip, and cut perfectly -- and have that old experienceced quality used character --that I like.

I am sure, if I wanted to, I could do a better job on these...but for now, a great improvement -- and a lot of fun to uncover these vintage treasures.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

Good going.  We have our share of those, that's for sure.  Never seen geared pliers like that though.  They must have some age on them.

Freeing up box joints and, especially, sharpening box joint cutters is always tricky.  Using a triangle file to sharpen the grooves/ridges on once-rusted pliers, channel locks, vice grips and pipe wrenches is easy though and makes them grip like new.
-steve

bluefish69

That's an old Monkey Wrench in the back. It doesn't have teeth. We used them on Chrome Nuts doing Plumbing. I have a few of my Dad's around here somewhere.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

foakes

Got most done -- except the pile on the end of mostly no-names or ones I just haven't got to yet.

I compared the old Crescent Tool Co. Tools to modern Craftsman -- and even at 50-70 yars old -- the old Crescent Company tools are much superior to newer Craftsman, IMO.

The (7) tools on the paper towel are all Crescent Tool Co. -- pliers, lineman pliers, needlenose, 12" Adjustable and 4" adjustable -- even the old Monkey Wrench Mike spotted is Crescent Tool Co. -- out of Jamestown, NY.

There are quite a few other vintage quality brands in this group -- and it seems like the best ones came from New York -- Jamestown, Buffalo, Utica.

There is a really old pair of Snap-On pliers also -- appears they may be 20's, 30's, 40's.  At least the oldest I have ever seen.

Mostly quality tools after the rust was removed -- plus lubed.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 08, 2016, 05:54:14 PM
Mike; How the heck did they get Monkey wrench anyway?  Ive heard that ever since I was knee high to a grass hopper but it didn't make sense to then and it doesn't now. ???

Joe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench 

erikpowell

bluefish69

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 08, 2016, 05:54:14 PM
Mike; How the heck did they get Monkey wrench anyway?  Ive heard that ever since I was knee high to a grass hopper but it didn't make sense to then and it doesn't now. ???

Joe

Joe I went into the Plumber's Union in '63. I was taught by my Dad who went in the union in '26. I just call them as I was taught.

Mike

bluefish69

oc1

That's a nice set of chisels too Fred.  A real luxury. 
-steve

theswimmer

Very nice stuff Fred.
Just like fishing the gear that belonged to Dad, Grandpa ,my Uncle's and Brother .
I  have  all my hand tools marked with the name of who owned it .
Something beyond just the tool when you use a drawknife that is over a hundred years old.
Best
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Alto Mare

Nice tools Fred, I always have a couple with me on my truck. I must say though, those wood chisel excite me a little more.
Is that a Stabila in that yellow bag in the back? Those are the only ones I depend on for finish work, as hanging cabinets and such.
Nice collection Fred!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

The chisels, Steve, belonged to an older fellow who used them all of his life.  His widow gave them to me, along with the metal engraving tools, and the two engraving vises (one he made himself) -- after I did a little work for her around her house.  He only bought and used good tools -- and every chisel is sharpened to a razor edge -- oiled, and stored properly.  I have never used them -- but hope to some day.  Most are from England.  Unfortunately, the talent did not come along with the chisels -- so I will do my best as I learn...

The brands are: C. O. LInder, England, Buck Brothers, J. B. Addis & Sons Sheffield, J. B. Addis Praise Medals, F. Cassell Grand Rapids Michigan, N. L. S. Co. New London C., S. J. Addis London, D. Maiers Co., S. J. Addis Cast Steel -- 42 total, plus odds.

Plus there are metal engraving tools and vises.

Right, Jonathan -- it is special to use a tool that has spanned generations -- and still works as when it was new.

The yellow bag, Sal, is just an empty DeWalt bag I use when gathering a few tools for a project off site.  Stabila does make some of the best leveling devices.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Maybe some cold, snowy Winter day -- I will attack these hand planes that I enjoy using.

They would work and look better if cleaned, serviced, and sharpened.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

conchydong

That chisel set is awesome. After reading your post, I went out and oiled up my favorite wire cutting pliers, a Crestoloy (Crescent)  that my dad left me. Nothing can compare to them made today. Is it the steel or the castings? I don't know the answer but they sure had quality back then.

David Hall

As a lifetime woodworker I have to say that is a set of chisels to envy for certain.  I did everything with three chisels, a spoon a 60* v gouge and a knife, and those engravers chisels are exceptional, not to mention the vises. There is an art that has gone by the wayside save for a few dedicated artisans doing some incredible things.  I was getting something out of my tool chest the other day and looking at all the surface rust and thinking I have to do something with these soon, a gallon of vinegar and a good soak will take it off, then a neutralizing bath in baking soda drying off and corrosion X.  I need another round tuit.