Penn Trade Reels

Started by coastal_dan, August 08, 2016, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Quotebut, didn't Ocean City make a Kingfisher reel about that size?
-steve

Probably but not as common as the Penn connection. Ocean City was with everyone. I do not believe they used Tryon as much as others. The history of OC goes back to a corporate merger. The original company that was selling Ocean City reels was named Moskowitz and Herbach. They were a Trade Reel company themselves with a massive catalog. That basically kept Ocean City with the M and H group and the Montague group much more than Kingfisher. I know there are some Ocean City trade reels with the Kingfisher logo, but not too many.

milne

Oh Wow Mike, that's an awesome piece of history you have there.
I popped the question up on the Penn facebook page as well, seeing if anyone has one.
It will be interesting to see how many are flushed out.
 I need to study what you put up......

Thank you

Col

milne

Mike,  you probably already new this, but the numbers ending with 8, seem to be for the 300 yd models.
         And numbers ending with 7, for the 250 yard versions, Tyrons in house system of sorts.

But your right, the numbers are all around my 4088 number, So close Mike....

It's great reading old information like this, awesome !!!

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteOh Wow Mike, that's an awesome piece of history you have there.
I popped the question up on the Penn facebook page as well, seeing if anyone has one.
  I need to study what you put up......
That's good. Eric may be able to help.

Penn Chronology

QuoteOh Wow Mike, that's an awesome piece of history you have there.

The ledger pages were salvaged from a Penn dumpster around 2003. Sad to say, but tons of history went into the Philadelphia Incinerator.

milne

Thank you again Mike,
    How good is this !!!  Seriously !       Trying to put together information from a puzzle really.
   Kind of wonder how your sanity was kept mike, with the books you wrote, I can now appreciate the time that it must have taken you to
  sift through all the information.........
  We are fortunate indeed........
And yes, that is sad to have lost so much documentation,  But in another way, we are lucky with what has been preserved...

Col

milne

Interesting documents.
With the numbers 4097 & 4098 and down to 4017 & 4018, one would presume we are talking about 10 models using this numbering system, in the 4 range.
( assumption only )
I couldn't really read some of the names next to the numbers, maybe the hand writing, thought I saw Pacific etc or Atlantic  ?
But a great piece of history for sure.

Col

broadway

Col, nice clean box ya got there. Congrats on the find.
Mike, great knowledge and provenance. Thanks for sharing that!
Being in a collector I check Ebay about 10 times a day. I see way more OC kingfishers than Penn Kingfishers. I assume the box is a Penn kingfisher and believe it may go to a Coronado kingfisher but not positive.
Good luck on your search,
Dom

milne

Thanks Dom.   That would be a nice provenance to get if it was for a Coronado.
                 Hopefully with a bit of research I can identify which reel belongs to it, all part of the fun I guess.

Cheers
Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteKind of wonder how your sanity was kept mike,

It was not.

Penn Chronology

QuoteBeing in a collector I check Ebay about 10 times a day. I see way more OC kingfishers than Penn Kingfishers.

I find that interesting. I always felt there were more Penn Kingfishers than OC's. ----------------------------------------------I need Ray---------------------------------------he was my eyes on eBay..........................................

Sharkb8

There's a kingfisher on eBay Australia right know

Kim

broadway

We all need Ray, Mike...He was a Master!
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteThere's a kingfisher on eBay Australia right know

Kim

The Aussie Kingfisher on eBay now is one of Ray's reels.. There is a trick here. That is not a Penn. I believe it is a Yale reel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Kingfisher-3-Bar-no-box-Vintage-Collectors-Ref-R997/264516524500?hash=item3d9669d9d4:g:qsoAAOSwpyBdootP

Penn Chronology

QuoteWe all need Ray, Mike...He was a Master!

For sure!