Pound for pound, what is the hardest fighting fish in the world?

Started by Flounder Boy 3, August 09, 2016, 08:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

They're tough pound for pound.  Fortunately they don't go to many pounds 'cuz you'd need break out that heavy artillery if they went to 100#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

sharkman

I would say sheepshead fish. Its not the biggest fish but a real fighter.

pjstevko

Freshwater would have to be Peacock Bass!!!!!

Saltwater.....tarpon, wahoo, grouper/jewfish,

MarkT

Wahoo?  No way!  They go fast but give up quick.  A 40# YT is a MUCH harder fight than a 40# Wahoo.  I would say that pound for pound a Wahoo is the best eating fish.  After all, in Hawaiian, Wahoo are called Ono which means delicious and they are certainly Ono-licious.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on August 10, 2016, 03:55:54 PM
Wahoo?  No way!  They go fast but give up quick.  A 40# YT is a MUCH harder fight than a 40# Wahoo.  I would say that pound for pound a Wahoo is the best eating fish.  After all, in Hawaiian, Wahoo are called Ono which means delicious and they are certainly Ono-licious.

Unfortunately I've never caught a YT so I have no reference....but hopefully I'll be able to remedy that soon and add it to my life list....

but yes one of the best eating fish especially raw!!!!

Keta

My 87# wahoo almost spooled me twice with a 50 then some shorter runs but then just pulled.  YT are tougher for sure.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bigggfish

1) Bluefin Tuna
2) Pacific Yellowtail
3) Yellowfin Tuna
4) Amberjack

Pound for Pound.   Just my Opinion.  Of course there are a lot of fish I've never caught.  I hear Ulua (Giant Trevally) are tough.)

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I have only caught two swordfish, and they may have been unusually tough individuals, but pound for pound, nothing has ever pulled harder or longer.

1.  Swordfish
2.  Thresher Shark 
3.  Tie: Yellowfin & Bluefin Tuna

RowdyW

The problem with Swordfish is that you can't chase them with your boat. Unless you can get Ron to bring his Sub around.  ;D

Bill B

Rowdy go straight to the harpoon.....but you will need a bigger boat 😝 All kidding aside bluegill are great fighters......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RiverAngler

Guys and Gals, I haven't been on salt yet, so I can only attest to fresh water at this time. In my experience, it's as follows;

Sturgeon - you haven't lived till you have to chase down a 150 pound underwater missile that can rip 100 yds off in a blink of an eye at ANY drag setting.

Sheepshead - yes indeedy (well, in brackish water in the Indian River Lagoon)

Sailor's choice - also in the Indian River- they be small but they be MIGHTY!

I look forward to saltwater fishing, them I will write a revised list.

Ralph

Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Keta

Quote from: RowdyW on August 10, 2016, 03:08:47 PM
Do you think I should use a 80 series reel for bluegill or a 130 with bent butt rod??   :D ;D :D ;D

Pound for pound. If bluegill got over 50 pounds you would need heavy gear.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

I've never caught a GT or swordfish but from my experience it has to be a YFT. This story convinced me: About 15 years ago I was fishing off the East Cape where I caught and released a 250 pound blue marlin. It put up a good aerial fight that lasted about 45 minutes. A little later I caught my first decent size YFT, a fish that weighed 68 pounds at the dock. That tuna fought **much** harder than the marlin.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

I have 5 YFT over 200#, the largest 258#. The toughest YFT was around 160#.

Mark Twain

Cor

Unfortunately we don't have a wide variety of species where I live but I have always believed the Yellowtail to be the strongest and dirtiest fighting fish.   As redsetta says when those fish want to get to some structure, you can not hold them, or then, not with the tackle we use.   The problem is that once he turns his head away from you and your drag gives, it just keeps on going and usually it needs only a couple of yards to get to the kelp and that is game over.

These fish all differ in how strong they fight, sometimes they just swim to the gaff while other times you get pulled around all over the place by a small 10lb fish.   An observation over many years of shore based Yellowtail fishing is that the harder you pull, the harder he fights!

I have caught Yellowfin Tuna and Yellowtail from shore and boats and in my mind the Yellowtail remains the strongest fish pound for pound.
Cornelis