Pound for pound, what is the hardest fighting fish in the world?

Started by Flounder Boy 3, August 09, 2016, 08:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: jurelometer on January 05, 2022, 08:26:32 PM
For example, a kingfish can be  a croaker, a whiting, a trevally, a jack, and probably lots of other species depending on where you live.
Excuse me, but a kingfish is what some call a king mackeral (Scomberomorus cavalla).

JasonGotaProblem

I've always said if a fish only tastes good smoked, that's basically saying it's a bad tasting fish. My tshirt probably tastes good smoked. I bet if you smoked my left sock it would improve the flavor.

But how would you keep it lit?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Squidder Bidder

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on January 06, 2022, 05:10:58 PM
I've always said if a fish only tastes good smoked, that's basically saying it's a bad tasting fish. My tshirt probably tastes good smoked. I bet if you smoked my left sock it would improve the flavor.

Usually it's fattier/oilier fish that take well to salting and smoking - mackerels, bluefish, salmon, (even a white marlin that won't revive boatside). More delicate tasting, leaner white-fleshed fish would get overwhelmed by smoke. But notice however that the more delicate fish usually gets a preparation with flavorful sauces, butter, or fried batter/breadcrumbs etc. So it's really more of a question of "how can I make this fish taste good/better?" That said, the best tasting fish flesh (to me) are from species that subsist on a lot of crustaceans.

De gustibus . . .

Cor

Quote from: jurelometer on January 05, 2022, 08:26:32 PM
OK, this is driving me nuts.  Common names are not so useful for a worldwide forum..........

-J

This name confusion is not only a problem internationally, but even within South Africa domestically as well.

In Cape Town we have what is locally called a "Katonkel" which is actually an "Atlantic Bonita" and looks like the one with the same name in  conchydong's middle picture.   It is also known as Sarda Sarda in Natal, a province 810 miles North from Cape town.  We also have a very similar species, slightly bigger and the stripes very slightly different which carries the same name in Cape Town.   My scientist friend has a Latin Name for it but we all just call it a Katonkel because most can not see the difference.   These are indeed the most delicious when smoked.

Skipjack Tuna we never ate in days gone bye and they were actually quite scarce here.   Then one day another quasi marine scientist friend told me that he loved Skipjack and made Sashimi from them which I told my wife.   I was then promptly told to bring one home for her to try.   The test proved positive and I now have instructions to bring them home if I happen to catch one.    The soft flesh with a strong wild taste does not sit well with my taste buds and I leave them alone.

Most fish have two or three different names.
Cornelis

Dominick

Quote from: Cor on January 08, 2022, 06:27:52 PM

I simplify the name thing by calling them all "fish."  You are welcome for this brilliant insight.  :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Patudo

The true skipjack (Hawaiian = aku or otado), Latin name Katsuwonus pelamis) I strongly feel needs to be treated like a tuna to give its best - that means bleeding it upon capture, icing it and taking care not to let it beat its delicate flesh up against the fishbox.  Treated that way, and consumed within 24 hours, as they go off more quickly than the bigger tunas (that super-fast metabolism that gives them such speed and power for their size works against them once they are caught, as they break down more quickly), they are fine eating. 

I've found skipjack caught in the tropics can sometimes be feeding on anchovies or similar baitfish and taste a bit on the strong side - bleeding them out becomes especially important when they are like that.  Skipjack caught in more temperate climes often seem to feed on something else (krill or other small pelagic food items) and can taste very good indeed.  Also, big ones, 10 lbs and upwards, taste better - firmer meat and great flavour.  The sashimi I've had from 15+ pounders has easily been the equal of yellowfin. 

The "little tunny" types (I haven't caught an Atlantic little tunny yet but have caught black skipjack and many kawakawa) are somewhat behind the true skipjack when it comes to edibility, but if bled and treated with care, are pretty decent sashimi fish and I find them perfectly acceptable on the grill.  If you find the taste too strong even when bled, I've seen crews wash the steaks in saltwater to wash more of the blood away.  I've eaten them many a time and always enjoyed them, but I agree that if you can expect to catch dorado, wahoo, yellowfin etc. any of those are better. 

It's a shame these little powerhouses are so seldom caught with gear that lets them show their paces - I think a lot of the time because when we encounter them we are focused on bigger fish and time spent targeting skipjacks is time lost in your hunt for blue marlin or what have you.  But if you've not caught one before a 10 lb skipjack on something like a baitcasting rod and an Abu 6500 size reel is a revelation.  Ridiculous fun.  From the point of view of pure enjoyment and fun, they're really hard to beat. 

philaroman

Quote from: Dominick on January 08, 2022, 07:10:59 PM

I simplify the name thing by calling them all "fish."  You are welcome for this brilliant insight.  :D  Dominick

I call 'em all sorts of things...  they still don't listen  ::)

Cor

Quote from: philaroman on January 08, 2022, 10:30:35 PM
Quote from: Dominick on January 08, 2022, 07:10:59 PM

I call 'em all sorts of things...  they still don't listen  ::)
Understandably, try calling them what your wife does! ;D ;D
Cornelis

Benni3

In freshwater it's hybrids then brooks,,,,smallmouth,,,, ;) but in saltwater maybe not for pound but gothic grouper oh my they will kill you,,,,,,,, :o