Pound for pound, what is the hardest fighting fish in the world?

Started by Flounder Boy 3, August 09, 2016, 08:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

I'm going to throw in Yellowtail/Kingfish as my pick, even small (<75cm) ones have a blistering run when they first realise they are hooked.
The world record is 115lb, >60lb specimens routinely require 37kg tackle and a fair bit of luck to land. These fish will happily pull on close to their bodyweight in drag pressure.
I suspect a 200lb model would be near impossible to land unless somehow hooked in very deep water.

The other fish I'll mention is the humble Kahawai (often used as livebait for the aforementioned Kingfish), Arripis trutta, aka Eastern Australian Salmon.

David Hall

This is just like the which is the best caliber rifle argument, lots of personal opinions and never a consensus. It is an argument without resolution.  Too many variables to consider and too many species.  What we need is three old men who have fished every species of fish to have this discussion and see if they can reach a consensus and then explain to all of us the reasons behind it, the only problem with that is three old men are never going to have a consensus on any subject short of alcohol, cigars and grandchildren.
But it sure is fun to discuss anyway?
I have fished the west coast from Monterey to Vancouver Island inland and offshore, aside from my regulars of rock fish, king salmon, albacore and more recently blue fin tuna the most memorable fishing I have was Octobers on the Nooksack river, fishing night crawlers on light spinning gear for sea run cut throat trout.  An awesome fun fish to catch and they smoke up delicious.

Jeri

Hi All,

It would be like asking on this forum: 'What is the best reel?'

- You would never get consensus!!!!

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

Flounder Boy 3

This topic was never meant for a consensus.  ::)

It was meant to hear out and consider different viewpoints, which it seems to have done.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Hammerhead from the Beach.
Getting him over that last bar is a feat.

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Saltwater:

1)Monster Grander Blue Marlin right after they pick up the bait.. explosive, and unstoppable.

2)850lb+ Short fin Mako Sharks.. an intelligent animal with speed, power, and tactics

3)Triple Marker Bluefin Tuna...dogged, powerful, endurance fighters

4)Double marker Bigeye Tuna

5)100+ Yellowfin Tuna

6)Giant (100lb+) Trevelly

7)Wahoo is the fastest on the strike

8)500lb+Swordfish.. deep, dogged, slow and steady endurance fighters with a soft jaw that requires care with applied pressure

9)large (500-1000lb+) Hammerheads, Tigers, Threshers good staying power, and require alot of pressure to get them to head your way.  Threshers are good at staying deep on you, and can get a bit 'frisky' as well

10)Big Halibut.. try pulling a sheet of plywood through the water

11)Any other Pelagic Fish... Other billfish species, dolphinfish, Cobia, Kings.. etc.

Freshwater:

1)Sturgeon.. I caught an 80lb+ once on 12lb.. impressive fish

2)King Salmon, Silvers, Steelhead, etc.

2)Catfish big, powerful

3)Musky.. actually large Northern Pike often fight a bit harder, but the Musky definately let's you know he is king of the lake

4)Alligator Gar.. not to be triffled with

5)large Lake Trout.. I once hooked a 35lber on 6lb ultralight, and he towed me 3+miles on my kayak

6)Smallmouth Bass.. they may be small but they can tug pretty good

7)Carp. A big carp does not give up easily

8)big Largemouth.. explosive strike, esp. on topwaters

9)Walleye.. gotta put them on the l8st.. simply because they are so fun to catch

10)Trout

11)Dogfish and Burbot too.. try catching a big one on an ultralight

I skipped Striped Bass cause I have never caught one, though I am sure they deserve a place somewhere on the list.

Also deserving is the Snook, and the venerable Redfish.

I also tangled with a large Manta Ray once.. and they are no joke. (Those these, and cetaceans are protected species, and as such should never be targeted)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Flounder Boy 3

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 16, 2016, 04:05:21 AM
1)Monster Grander Blue Marlin right after they pick up the bait.. explosive, and unstoppable.

2)850lb+ Short fin Mako Sharks.. an intelligent animal with speed, power, and tactics

3)Triple Marker + Bluefin Tuna. Dogged

Makos are a hell of a fish. Unbelievable how high they can jump. And those teeth, something else.

Cor

It is not possible to reach a consensus, one of the reasons being that the same species of fish does not fight in the same way.
Yesterday I caught and landed a small Yellowtail that I did not see before it took my lure.    I really thought it was a small bonita, it hardly pulled at all.

I usually fish inside a bay, and the Yellowtail generally stay around there throughout summer, but we can tell when some different new shoals come in to the bay, they are fatter and generally in better condition, but more importantly they fight much much harder.

So you can't even compare the same species's fighting ability.
Cornelis

nelz

My experience is mostly inshore, and there, # 4 # the Bonito (Little Tunny) is king.

MarkT

Deciding the hardest fighting fish on a pound for pound basis pretty much makes it a small fish that fights above it's weight class.  Unfortunately you can't scale them up, or the big fish down, to create a level playing field. As noted even the same species in different places/times can fight differently. Hey, sometimes they stayed out late the night before with the boys and had a few too many and aren't feeling it today. I'm sure you understand!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

erikpowell

Quote from: Jeri on August 14, 2016, 12:59:51 PM
Hi All,

My vote for salt water goes to Tarpon caught in deep water - not that skinny water stuff, but deep enough that the fish don't leap about and wear themselves out. Caught a lot in northern Angola, way out from the beach, and on 50lb class tackle, they are about 1 minute per kg for fight time as a minimum.

jeri

Jeri,  that's a great scale! .... min/kg
I like it!

Obviously there are alot of variables, but for a guy on the water alot who knows his gear and species, I think that's a great way to scale or rate a fish fight.
It'll take me awhile, but I intend to make a list and apply this to my usual species.

Is it always sunny in Africa? :)

Cheers from a Rainy Fiji,
Erik

Quote from: handi2 on August 15, 2016, 04:04:44 PM
Any of the Jack family. Pound for pound.

Way to simplify Keith, I'd have to agree.

bill19803

pound   for  pound   an  eastern brook  trout   about   3 lbs   but   for total  butt kicking    200+  yellow  fin  and  just the thought of that fight makes my body  start  to ache

Fishy247

California Yellowtail gets my vote. I've caught them from 5# up to 30#+ and every single one of them fought like the dickens all the way to the boat. That being said, I definitely agree with the assessment on grouper being super tough in the first 10-20 feet of the fight. In the fresh stuff, I'd have to go with my personal favorite, bluegill!