Daiwa Saltist 50S?

Started by mley1, August 12, 2016, 04:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mley1

Ya'll, I picked up a Daiwa Saltist 50S for a decent price. It's on it's way to me. The only problem is it has a broken clutch lever. It looks like from the photo it broke off on the outside where the lever itself meets the pivot that goes inside the side plate. The fella I'm buying from says it works and shifts fine with a pair of pliers to grab it. I want to order the clutch lever to fix it when it gets here. But, I have no clue where to order the part, or what the part number is. I've looked on the Daiwa web site, and the closest thing I see to this reel is the BG star drag with the gold colored spool. Mine has the silver spool, and I think it has the lower gear ratio, 4.9 to 1 I think. Can anyone help me out with a part number or place to order the part, or get a schematic? My Googlefu is lacking. Here is a pic of the reel. Other than the broken lever it looks to be in good shape, and the seller says it works good. But, who knows till it gets here. Do ya'll think there'll be any surprises, or things I need to watch for when I try to repair this reel? And, just out of curiosity, how much do you think I should have payed him for the reel. I'm just wondering if I paid too much. And, lastly, I plan to use this reel for medium sized sharks, bull reds, large jacks, Kings, near shore stuff. What type of rod would ya'll recommend. Budget is 150 or less.

Good luck fishing,

Marty

mley1

From what I'm gathering from folks I'm talking with is this reel was only made a year or two. From what I hear it had issues, was discontinued, and the H models came out. I can't find a schematic anywhere. So I don't know what the part number will be. And I'm now concerned the part may be impossible to find. If any of you have any ideas, or info that could help me find the part I'm ears.

I'm wondering if it's possible one of the other Saltist models clutch levers would work on this reel. Does anyone know of any cross compatible reels? Thanks y'all.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

Rancanfish

http://www.surviveoutdoor.com/schematics/Daiwa/Saltist/SALTIST-30T-40-50.pdf

There ya go.  I don't know enough to know if the link will be live, but if not you can copy it. (seems live, eh?)  ;D

I have no clue on their worth, sorry.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

FatTuna

I've rebuilt a bunch of Saltists. They are well made reels. I'm a big fan. Never rebuilt this model though. I've actually never even seen this model before. I've only owned the H and BG models.

Provided the parts are available it should be an easy fix. If Daiwa doesn't have it, search on Ebay.

Might as well clean and rebuild the whole reel. It's an older model and most likely needs a good service.

mley1

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 14, 2016, 01:42:24 AM

There ya go.  I don't know enough to know if the link will be live, but if not you can copy it. (seems live, eh?)  ;D

The link worked. Hopefully, it will be correct for my reel. It looks like it will be. Thanks!
Good luck fishing,

Marty

mley1

Quote from: FatTuna on August 14, 2016, 07:23:01 AM
I've rebuilt a bunch of Saltists. They are well made reels. I'm a big fan. Never rebuilt this model though. I've actually never even seen this model before. I've only owned the H and BG models.

Provided the parts are available it should be an easy fix. If Daiwa doesn't have it, search on Ebay.

Might as well clean and rebuild the whole reel. It's an older model and most likely needs a good service.

I was told by a fella from another board that this particular model was only made for a year or two. He said that he believes they discontinued it because of some issue's with the clutch lever breaking and such. I had never seen the reel before. It was on Ebay, and got no bids. So, I emailed the guy and offered a lower price. He was very happy to take my money! LOL, well, this will be a learning experience for me. And, I may get the chance to rebuild an old Saltist, and make her a great reel. We'll see. She's on her way to me, and should be here in a few days. I may go to the Daiwa site and see if I can get a phone number to call them, and inquire about the possibility of obtaining the part directly from them. So far I've not seen any available on Ebay.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

Fish-aholic

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 14, 2016, 01:42:24 AM

There ya go.  I don't know enough to know if the link will be live, but if not you can copy it. (seems live, eh?)  ;D

The "T" series has been discontinued.  :-\

Quote from: mley1 on August 14, 2016, 05:12:06 PMI was told by a fella from another board that this particular model was only made for a year or two. He said that he believes they discontinued it because of some issue's with the clutch lever breaking and such. I had never seen the reel before. It was on Ebay, and got no bids. So, I emailed the guy and offered a lower price. He was very happy to take my money! LOL, well, this will be a learning experience for me. And, I may get the chance to rebuild an old Saltist, and make her a great reel. We'll see. She's on her way to me, and should be here in a few days. I may go to the Daiwa site and see if I can get a phone number to call them, and inquire about the possibility of obtaining the part directly from them. So far I've not seen any available on Ebay.

The "S" series has been discontinued.

Unfortunately this leaves you in a position where you will have to roll some dices and purchase a clutch lever from the B&G 50H series to see if it will cross over to your "S" series. No one knows definitively if it will cross over, but you are left with no other OEM option.

Saltist B&G 50H schematic - clutch lever, key #44: http://daiwafishing.com.au/services/saltwater-overhead-reel-schematics/

Daiwa USA: http://www.daiwa.com/us/index.html

;) 

mley1

I got the reel in today. She looks pretty clean. I found no corrosion anywhere inside, or on the outside. There was just a little bit of dirt on her in a few places. And, there were a few marks on her. It looks as though this reel has hardly been fished. The drags are the old paper fiber ones. So, I'll be ordering carbon drags for her too from Dawn at Smoothdrag. I placed a call and left a message, and sent her an email. I also sent an email to a place called Daves Parts and Service, as they were recommended to me as a possible source for older reel parts for Daiwa Saltists. So, we'll see what happens.

Some pics of the reel. It looks like a very simple, easy reel to service. There are actually very few parts inside, and they appear fairly robust for the most part. I guess the weak point on these reels was the clutch lever, and the Abu style dog. This reel has the dog and the instant anti reverse bearing. Seems like a very smooth user friendly reel........so far. Now, just got to get the parts for her. I noticed on the spool there are a couple red break blocks. I'm not sure how castable a reel of this size will be. I intend to find out once I get her all fixed up. She may just make a good surf reel for me. Looks like with a proper rod this reel would be a good size for large bull red, up to medium sized sharks in my fishing area. Ya'll please forgive my poor quality pics. I'm no professional reel repair guy. I'm just an old country boy who loves fishing, and working on his own reels. If ya'll have any suggestions or pointers for working on this I'm all ears. I have read all the tutorials on here that I think may be applicable. They helped me understand a good bit about the Saltist line in general. Special thanks to Alan regarding his findings on the Saltist reels, and the Abu style dogs. It sure gives me info to watch for on this one.

Good luck fishing,

Marty

Fish-aholic

After seeing your last picture of the inner RS plate, I'm more confident in saying the B&G clutch lever will cross over. Turns out to be a good score for you in the end. ;D

handi2

Yes the other clutch lever will fit. It's an off silver color with a matt finish.

I can send you one if needed. Just send a PM with your shipping info.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rancanfish

I don't know how much you spent, but I'd fish that hard!  Enjoy the score.

(Something you can't say to us SF Giant fans lately).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mley1

Quote from: handi2 on August 16, 2016, 11:30:47 PM
Yes the other clutch lever will fit. It's an off silver color with a matt finish.

I can send you one if needed. Just send a PM with your shipping info.

Keith

Thank you so much Keith. Pm sent.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

mley1

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 17, 2016, 01:06:26 AM
I don't know how much you spent, but I'd fish that hard!  Enjoy the score.

(Something you can't say to us SF Giant fans lately).

I plan to put her to good use!! The bull reds are usually in the surf down here in the fall. So, I'm hoping to catch a few of those big girls with her. Right now I have 30, 50, 80, and 100lb braid I can load her with. I'm not sure what her capacity is. I'm thinking 50 or 80lb braid will work. With a top shot of 40lb mono. I'm not sure what rod I'm gonna use yet. Any suggestions fellas?
Good luck fishing,

Marty

mley1

Keith, I just want to say thanks again for your offer of the lever. It turns out Daves didn't have the part after all.

I just want to say thanks to all for your help. Once I get the part and drags in I'll clean her up, lube her, and take photos along the way. I'm a complete amateur, but I sure love to learn and work on my own reels.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

handi2

I'll get it sent out and hopefully it will fit. It sure looks like the same.

I have them because it was a common problem.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL