Reel for land based shark

Started by Dustin0330, August 12, 2016, 07:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin0330

I'm looking for opinions on the best reel for land based shark fishing. I'll mainly be targeting the medium sized shark for now so I don't need anything too big. I was thinking maybe a 4/0 wide, a 6/0, or a Daiwa 600H. I'll mostly be kayaking the bait out but there may be times when I'll have to cast it that's why I was considering the 4/0 wide.

RowdyW

A 115 9/0 should be all you need loaded with 80#- 130# braid & a 100yd top shot of 100-120# mono. A minimum would be a 114HLW.      Rudy

Shark Hunter

You can't decide what size of Shark picks up your bait Dustin.
A 9/0 is a good start, but I mainly fish with 12 and 14/0's. I also have some Big Everol's.
A Stock 12/0 is a good medium. It can handle a Big Fish.
Life is Good!

Dustin0330

Thanks for the advice guys! I've read 100's of articles, posts, and handbooks on land based shark tackle but I thought it'd be best to get some first hand info from a reliable source. I'll most likely end up with the whole Senator line up since they're so addictive but I'll start with the 9 or 12/0 for now and pick up the others when I run across them.

Shark Hunter

You have to do it a few times Dustin, then you learn more every trip.
I love to Shark fish. I just wish I had more time to do it.
Basic tools and equipment are a must.
Kayak and Paddle,
12/0 on a 100lb rod with 100lb mono,
Rod Holders with rubber mallet to pound them into the sand,
Shark Rigs,
Cooler and Bait,
Gloves,
Bolt Cutters,
Dehooker,
Fighting Plate and Harness,
Headlamp,
Bug repellent, (I've upgraded to a Bug net attached to a hat) They ate me up last May.
The last three ingredients are the most important.
Beer, Chair and Life Jacket. ;)
Also, Don't forget the Camera if you actually catch one. ;D
Life is Good!

spc7669

I certainly consider Daron and Rudy far more knowledgeable than me and what they say is spot on. The other thing you need is a buddy or two. Kayaking baits solo is difficult, frustrating, and dangerous. Land based shark fishing is very much a team sport.

Shark Hunter

I haven't done it alone yet.
I need at least my wife to watch the rod until I get back from yakking it out.
There is no bigger rush than hooking into a Big Shark.
You have to have a game plan.
One more thing you will need, a tail rope. ;)
89" is my best. I'm working on that. This picture really means a lot to me.
I am grabbing that scalloped Hammer head to send him on his way and he was more than willing to go. ;D
John's 12/0 made quick work of him.
It is a good feeling to see a Shark like that swim away.
You have to be quick once you get them to the beach. Measure, photo, dehook, tag and release.
You take too long and you will have a dead Shark on your hands. I'm talking less than two minutes.
Life is Good!

Dominick

Hey folks, I discovered Bug-X insect repellent several years ago.  When I first used it it had 50% DEET.  I think it might still be available in 50% but the regular stuff has 30% DEET.  It comes as a wet towel in an envelope.  Works great.  I know that DEET is not a good chemical to put on your body but it works and I don't use it often enough to be concerned.  It's available on line.  Daron if you got eaten up this stuff will keep those bugs away.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

The 30% + Deet is what you need for the Zika Bugs

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

RowdyW

One more thing to pack is a FIRST AID KIT.

Makule

If you're not using your big Everols, you can send one to me.  I promise I'll use it.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 12, 2016, 09:36:05 PM
You can't decide what size of Shark picks up your bait Dustin.
A 9/0 is a good start, but I mainly fish with 12 and 14/0's. I also have some Big Everol's.
A Stock 12/0 is a good medium. It can handle a Big Fish.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Shark Hunter

I know a Guy Albert.
This could be you. ;)
Life is Good!

Dustin0330

Thanks for all of the great advice! I have a lot of the basics but I'll definitely need a new fighting plate, harness, and at least 1 rod and reel. There will most likely be 4 of us fishing together at all times unfortunately none of us have experience catching and releasing shark over 3-4'. Have you guys ever used a Sea-Doo for dropping bait. I may pick a cheap one up over the winter.

Daron that's a nice hammer! Hopefully I can have similar success in the future but I wouldn't mind if the first few were a little smaller.

Shark Hunter

Dustin,
My very first Shark was a big Spinner. It might have been a Blacktip, but I think it was a spinner in the six foot range.
I got it to shore pretty quick. I had a game plan.
It was My brother, my son and me.
I was on the reel. I told my brother he was the tail rope guy and my boy was to grab the leader when we got him 20' from shore.
My leaders are made this way. The heavy cable can't be wound on the reel.
When I ran the leader all the way in, My son grabbed it and I set the reel back in the holder. My brother froze. I grabbed the tail rope from him and drug him up on the beach. He was still green and shook the ground flapping, coming at least two feet in the air.
He calmed down pretty quick and I went to work.
I quickly dehooked him and sent him on his way.
Spectators saw the action from the beach, but by the time they got to us, He was long gone.
The Spectator said, I guess this isn't your first Shark, I replied, A Matter of fact it was. ;)
Be calm, careful, decisive and get it done.
The adrenaline will kick in when you get a fish like that to shore. Key is being quick and safe and getting him swimming as soon as possible.
Life is Good!

Dustin0330

Daron thanks for all the great advice and info! I've been reading every article and post I come across but there wasn't much info out there on safely beaching and releasing a big shark.  I passed your game plan on to the guys I'll be fishing with so that they could get familiar with what's going on before we hit the beach.
What's your opinions on the 9/0? It seems like a lot of the local guys favor the bigger reels spooled with straight mono.