Pawl and Dog TOR upgrade+ carbontex drags= ?

Started by rickyroz, March 20, 2011, 09:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickyroz

Wel, I have both a TORIUM 20 and 30 with the drag and DC pawl upgrades.....so what kind of line can I put on these two reels now....Are they still not spectra worthy or are there options now? I know that the drags should not surpass 20lbs and these reels were originally meant for mono. I'm going on an early 8 day to Alijos and want to know if I should keep them at home and wait for albie and yellowtail in the Summer months out of San Diego. Or take em for the ride.

Keith K

I did the same upgrades to my torium (also adding Cal's drag plate).  Spool with 65# spectra and top with 3' of 40 or 50.  Take 'em.  Which 8 day are you on?  I'll be on the Shogun 4/15.

rickyroz

Sorry, I also did the the drag plate upgrade and we are on the same trip in April.

Keith K

alantani

Quote from: Keith K on March 20, 2011, 02:28:39 PM
Spool with 65# spectra and top with 3' of 40 or 50.

that sounds like a winner!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Visero

What's the Cal's drag plate mod?  I just ordered the TOR 20 from Charkbait for 119.xx!

Mark

Keith K

Quote from: Visero on April 09, 2011, 02:14:15 AM
What's the Cal's drag plate mod?  I just ordered the TOR 20 from Charkbait for 119.xx!

Mark

When the Toriums first came out they had a thin stamped drag plate that didn't deliver.  Shimano offered a free upgrade which was a new thicker stamped drag plate, and a new shaft, and sideplate to accommodate the extra thickness.  Cal makes a machined drag plate that is truly flat.  The newer Toriums have the thicker stamped plate already.   I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference between the stamped and Cal's, but it sure sounds cool!  Order a set of carbontex drags from Dawn, and the pawl and spring from Shimano.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=45.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=509.0

Quote from: alantani on October 15, 2009, 04:01:15 AM
the trinidad DC pawl and pawl spring is a drop in fix for the regular Trinidads and Toriums. part #s 1304 spring, and 1303 pawl.