Cookie Cutter Stripers 8/16/16

Started by STRIPER LOU, August 17, 2016, 06:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Got out yesterday for several hrs. On the water by 4:15 am and back to the dock before 9. It was HOT!!!! Thank god it was somewhat overcast and NO Tstorms.  Unfortunately incoming tide, which is not a favorite for the rips I fish. Water temps went from a low of 73 to a high of 76.5. All considering its not bad for mid august with air temps as high as 100!

The confusing part is the water actually got colder as I neared the Ct River which should have been just the opposite. Still don't know what to make of it. I'll have to check the Eldridge.

First stop showed some really big marks. I just wasn't able to connect as there were a bunch of bluefish and I couldn't seem to get thru them or the big ladies had lockjaw. Very frustrating.  Tried a bunch of different lures, nothing but blues. Moved down to another spot and more blues. I even tried fishing the outer edges as a lot of times the bass will stay a bit downtide and pick up the scraps from the bluefish.

Not wanting to give up my efforts on the first stop I went back as the tide went on. Didn't see the big marks this time around. Homemade Slope Head Swimmer tried again and was boss catching both bass and blues. Bass were not huge by any means and they were all cookie cutter around 32" maybe +/- and inch or so. It was like someone was stamping them out!!!

Final tally was 11 bass and way too many blues. It was getting to the point with the bluefish I was hoping they would fall off. They have that indistinguishable head shake and make a bloody mess of the boat. All fish were released and all seemed ok except for one big blue that was badly hooked and didn't make it.

A new guy at the marina spent most of the morning following me around. It was actually starting to become a pita. Back at the dock he had 1 bluefish so I guess all the following didn't help. I certainly don't own the ocean and do my best to put up with it but when they go over the lines I really start to loose it!!! >:(  >:(  >:(

I'm sure with the blues it was well over a 30 fish day and I was beat. Before I headed home I wet myself down with the hose and almost felt like a human being again. Stopped At Dad's for a large ice cream cone and thought it would be better to stick it under my shirt instead of eating it.

I'm usually and early riser but ended up sleeping till around quarter till 9 this AM. Guess the heat knocked the c--- out of me. Not getting any younger either!

Ok, all have a good day as its time to get to work!
Regards,  ..  Lou

pjstevko

Nice fish Lou!!!!

Is that a Tactical Angler Power Clip I see on the end that line attached to the plug?????

STRIPER LOU

Yes, PJ, Its the only thing I trust and the design doesn't inhibit the plug's action. I buy the 175lb one's in bulk and replace them every few times out. Its cheap insurance when your targeting big fish.

RiverAngler

Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

pjstevko

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on August 17, 2016, 07:54:28 PM
Yes, PJ, Its the only thing I trust and the design doesn't inhibit the plug's action. I buy the 175lb one's in bulk and replace them every few times out. Its cheap insurance when your targeting big fish.

I thought it looked fimiliar.....I use them on all my gear every since Crazy Alberto Knie himself gave me my first one on a kayak fishing trip I did with him. Great product!!!!

broadway

Beautiful fish, Lou!  Those plugs bring home the bacon time after time.
PJ, Albert Knie is a legend and I use his knot religiously.  Very cool!
Keep it up, Lou
Dom

pjstevko

Quote from: broadway on August 17, 2016, 09:02:55 PM
Beautiful fish, Lou!  Those plugs bring home the bacon time after time.
PJ, Albert Knie is a legend and I use his knot religiously.  Very cool!
Keep it up, Lou
Dom

I friend of mine introduced us and the three of us went kayak fishing together. I had no idea how famous that guy is until after that day. We've been fishing together several times. Got my picture taken by him too! Great guy!!!!

Sorry for the thread jacking....

STRIPER LOU

Unfortunately Dom, nothing big. Next week the tides will be better. I trolled the frames for a while and had a 3 and a 4 bagger on blues. When you get them like that you know they're thick.
They tire me out!!!!

The bay anchovies that were here a few weeks ago are gone and the lack of inshore bait except for bunker in the river is not good. They are getting a few large in the Ct River at night but I tend not to fish it at that time by myself. The fish seem to gather near the bridge abutments at the Baldwin Bridge and train bridge and it can be a bit tense in the dark on an outgoing tide.

Rest assured as for the rest of it though, I'm on it!

Yes, they were all good looking fish. Gracie says to slow down or I'm going to develop stripes. I had planned to get some work done in the shop today but it just didn't happen. Still draggin! Tomorrow's another day.

..........................Lou

mizmo67

Sounds like a fun trip! Nothing quite like being on a pod of them like that.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com