Poors man DIY Hand rod wrapper jig (from a wood box)

Started by steelfish, August 17, 2016, 07:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

:o :o :o   It`s all fun until the expoxy goes on  ::) ::)  When they want to play patsy with the revolving guide .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Reel 224

Looks like she has claimed that box for her own! Cat's do love boxes  :D.............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

@ oldmanJoe, that happend a lot in the beginning,  now they know the never ending turning "thingy" its not a toy for them.

@ Joe,  you got it buddy, as soon as he see me working on a rod, it jumps inside the wrapper box,  sometimes I let it be and I took a pause on my work to let it take a nap
The Baja Guy

gstours

Thanks for sharing your rod wrap 📦. With the decals it looks store bought and fancy.  Great to store your supplies in and portable too.  Good job,  great fishing 🎣
  As a cat fancier it great to see the cat 🐈 likes the box as well.  Pet it for me and say hello.  Meow 🐱

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on October 26, 2018, 05:55:17 AM
Thanks for sharing your rod wrap 📦. With the decals it looks store bought and fancy.  Great to store your supplies in and portable too.  Good job,  great fishing 🎣
  As a cat fancier it great to see the cat 🐈 likes the box as well.  Pet it for me and say hello.  Meow 🐱

haha thanks Gary I will take that as compliment but I doubt you will find something like my box on a store  ::) ::), but isnt that the idea on all the DIY jobs?
you dont care about the cosmetics but for make it more practical and cheaper.

"Tae" says hello too.

The Baja Guy

gstours

Yes Alex, you are a very talented fella, plus a good provider having fun as you go through life's problems.🐈.   Send us more pictures of the cat 🐱 growing up and helping you eat the 🐟 treats.   Have fun.🤓

happyhooker

Very innovative-- 2 thumbs up (or maybe I should say "paws" up.)

Not sure how I missed this earlier.

Frank

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on October 27, 2018, 04:53:37 PM
 Send us more pictures of the cat ........   Have fun.🤓
I would have to open a new thread just for the cat pictures, I have 5 cats and all of them have its own funny personality
I have tons of pics haha

Quote from: happyhooker on October 28, 2018, 03:10:41 AM
Very innovative-- 2 thumbs up (or maybe I should say "paws" up.)
Not sure how I missed this earlier.
Frank

thanks Frank,

hard to believe I have 2 years wrapping rods for my use and for friends and few "customers" and that box is still going strong and useful for my current needs, of course I would like to be using a nice ALP, PacBay, etc power wrapper but so far so good with mine, still havent felt the "urge" to get spend $350 dls for a nice wrapper.

The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Alex: You will find out if you didn't already that you accumulate friends as well as cats when you make custom rods :D But that's okay if they appreciate it.

I have an auto rapper and it is great for turning out fast rod work, but when it comes to rod art there is nothing like hand wrapping. I use both.

By the way I make sure I have plenty of boxes for our cat to sleep in, so she doesn't get into trouble in my shop..................Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

Quote from: Reel 224 on October 29, 2018, 05:40:25 PM
By the way I make sure I have plenty of boxes for our cat to sleep in, so she doesn't get into trouble in my shop..................Joe  

I really need to make me another box wrapper wood box, but this time for this fellow (below) cuz my box is not always mine, the clear tackle box you see aside, its where I put my miscellaneous small tools for rod wrapping, that clear box fits like a glove inside the wood box.

by the way, I upgraded the roller wheels on my rod drier stand and they work 3x better than the tiny ones I installed it at the beginning, I will install some on the V cuts on the wrapper box later.

The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Alex; The cat looks so at home in there :) It's a shame to disturb him :(. Were did you get the larger rollers from and what size are they?

Joe 

steelfish

Jose,

I found them on fleabay, after hours of search and few different O-rings sizes try outs I found the best for those roller grooved wheels (they are sold with no O-ring)

you can find them as:
-  8x30x10 mm Nylon Plastic Embedded 608 U Groove Ball Bearing Guide Pulley
-  O-rings Automobile 35mm x 5.7mm O Rings Hole Sealing Gasket Washer

The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Quote from: steelfish on October 29, 2018, 07:49:18 PM
Jose,

I found them on fleabay, after hours of search and few different O-rings sizes try outs I found the best for those roller grooved wheels (they are sold with no O-ring)

you can find them as:
-  8x30x10 mm Nylon Plastic Embedded 608 U Groove Ball Bearing Guide Pulley
-  O-rings Automobile 35mm x 5.7mm O Rings Hole Sealing Gasket Washer

Thank you alex. I will look for them amigo.................................Joe 

gstours

Thanks Alex for the roller wheel, with the o ring.  I've been wanting to do this butt never found the rubber or plastic wheels at a cheap price.   Thanks for sharing the encouragement.    Great fishing you.

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on October 30, 2018, 01:38:41 AM
Thanks Alex for the roller wheel, with the o ring.  I've been wanting to do this butt never found the rubber or plastic wheels at a cheap price.   Thanks for sharing the encouragement.    Great fishing you.

your welcome Gary and Joe, those replacement "stock" roller bearing wheels for the well-known power wrapper brands are ridiculous priced, I've been searching for better bearing roller wheels for cheap for months, until finding those, I just did the at treatment to them (clean them first, then add a drop or two of tsi 321) and they spin like crazy and super smooth, the rubber O-ring have much better grip to the blank when manually turning it than the old hard plastic rolling wheels I had before.

glad you find them useful to your DIY projects guys.

The Baja Guy