Abu Garcia 5600 BCX Question

Started by haggard1, March 22, 2011, 01:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haggard1

Hi, I've recently started cleaning my own reels. I Have successfully broken down and cleaned two Abu Garcia Revo STX reels and they seem just fine. Decided to do my 5600 BCX. Downloaded the schematic and went to work. No problems until reassembly. Whenever I tighten the outer housing screws (reel side) the spool gets hard.... very hard to turn. It free spools, but is still very tight. Reeling is very difficult. I've broken it apart and reassembled at least 6 times in the past week and I can't figure it out. I think it has to do with the washers that stack below and above the big brass gear. On the schematic, it shows 1121592 and a 1121590. I don't have the 1590, but I have two 1592s. The second 1592 was in the place of the 1590 when I opened the reel (I think.....). Anyway, I'm guessing this is the problem. Reel always worked ok.... but never casted as well as I thought it should. Had it about 2 years. I would be very grateful if someone could help me figure this out. Thanks.

alantani

found the schematic.  http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/userpics/5600BCX_1600.pdf

it almost sounds like you have an extra drag washer in the stack.  did you switch to carbon fiber? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

haggard1

No, it's all stock. I thought I was odd that I had two of the same washers.

alantani

is the spool cap on the right hand side too tight?  also, 1592 is much thicker (per the schematic) than 1590.  that might cause binding but you said it worked fine before. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

haggard1

Well, it worked ok... but never well.... I just assumed it was the old "you get what you pay for" rule. The spool is tight with or without the spool cap. I really appreciate your helping me with this.

haggard1

I removed the second 1592 and it seems to be working better now. I wonder if I should order the missing washer, or will it make a big difference?

Mooki

Judging by the schematics 1590 is the top "pressure plate", in my mind it ought to be pretty important.
If you've just removed the extra 1592 I don't see how brake pressure is transmitted evenly, rather the 1133389 puts pressure directly on 1126099 - and only a small portion of the surface will be used. Should lead to weak brake, at the very least...
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

flip

Hi Haggard1,

Might pay to get your local dealer to get the 1121590 washer in with his next PUREFISHING order.
The cost would be minimal. 50c maybe?
Either that, or contact them direct.

haggard1

Shoot..... knew that was too easy  ::) I'll take your advice and order the part. Thanks to all for the input... the technical expertise on this site is awesome!