Strongest braid to mono topshot connection?

Started by ScottOz, August 29, 2016, 01:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hi All,Just wondering what the strongest solid braid backing to mono topshot connection is.braid and mono both 30#.

RowdyW

I tie a uni to uni with the mono to doubled braid.

SoCalAngler

Check this place out for that type of info.

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/

Paulus, did not check all connections and has not done a large update in several years.

There many connections, I was taught a bimini in the spectra to a reverse Albright to the mono which is very close to 100% breaking strength. I have also played around with much faster and easier to tie connections like the Bob Sands, Tony Pena and others. For about the last 3 or 4 years I now tie a PR/John Collins knot and have never had a failure up to 60 lb mono/fluoro topshots.

ScottOz

Been using a cats paw connection after putting a double in braid and mono ends.Wil check out some of the other knots and take another look at Paulus.Cheers

erikpowell

Tiddlerbasher

erikpowell

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 29, 2016, 07:20:54 AM
I splice every join I can with hollow core

Hmm, good one... I've been meaning to try that

broschro

Cor

Quote from: erikpowell on August 29, 2016, 07:24:16 AM
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 29, 2016, 07:20:54 AM
I splice every join I can with hollow core

Hmm, good one... I've been meaning to try that
Is a perfect way to do it, just make sure the mono is of a correct diameter to fit the hollow braid.    I used to join JB 80lb hollow and any mono from 0.5mm diam upward worked fine but 0.6 was better!
Cornelis

Rivverrat

The bimini  in the braid backing then joining mono or fluro to bimini loop with a worm knot is sworn to be failure proof by many.  I use it when on the river & not able to splice. Using proper technique & with a little practice both this connection can be made in under a minute.

Joining 100 lb. & lighter rated braid to topshot I've come to really like the RP also known as the John Collins knot. It's very quick to tie & as strong or stronger than any other knot I've used to join these 2 different lines. But not as good as the prior going through the guides repeatedly ...  For 30 mono to braid I would use the RP knot & just make your top shot at least as long as your longest cast or longer.

Charkbait & others have tested this knot & its done very well...Jeff

spc7669

For my light stuff I use an FG knot. Anything 40# and above is a hollow core splice. I've not found a cleaner way to connect lines

Patrick

xaf

I use the FG knot to connect Braid to Mono almost all the time now.  Some people say it is too complicated but once I practiced and learned to tie it it is really pretty simple, just some repetition that makes it seem complicated. It has a small diameter and goes through the guides well.  AS I understand it it is rated just below the PR knot tied with a bobbin.

oc1

I use FG too, but keep a close eye on it.  I had one start to unravel and have been paranoid ever since. It is cast through the rod guides but not the reel guide so it is right there a few inches in front of the reel at the end of the retrieve.  I've been doing 28 wraps with the hold-it-in-your-teeth method, then four or five half hitches on top of the tag end and another four or five half hitches above the tag end.  Maybe that is too long for its own good because it has to bend coming in over the tip top.
-steve

spc7669

When I finish my FG, I put a drop of line glue on it. I was having some unraveling problems too until I started doing that

xaf

If you use a Rizutto Finish Knot you don't have to worry about it unraveling.  The link below shows it being used on a Bimini but it's the same for the FG.