Not so SUPREME 3-day...

Started by Aiala, August 30, 2016, 03:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Well, I'm back from Baja Bev's 3-day "Sadie Hawkins" trip aboard POLARIS SUPREME, and unluckily for me, (not counting two 6-inch red rockfish and a released 1-lb YT) I get to fly this:

::)  :P  >:(

Not that the trip was a complete washout for everyone; several hefty BFTs and a few YFTs did make it into the RSW tank, but overall it was extremely tough fishing. We burned up most of a day motoring down to Point Colnett, only to find cold 62° green water devoid of life, leaving Captain Tommy with no choice but to turn around and head back up to San Clemente Island, the only place where anyone had caught fish. Upon arrival Saturday morning, we were greeted by an incredible mass of more than 100 boats! I tried bait, dropper loop, flat fall jigs, different line weights, but to no avail...  :-\

Despite this, I actually had a very enjoyable time. Meeting Bev was a real treat, she's terrific, and so was our group of lady anglers. One gal won a custom Seeker to be built by Jon Vadney! The guys were great too, so all-in-all I have zero complaints... "That's why it's called 'fishing', not 'catching'! " If Bev puts the same charter together for next year, I'm in!  :)

Meantime, I'll be starting the countdown to my December 10-day aboard EXCEL. I'm reasonably confident that I won't be skunked on that trip, so... onward and upward!  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

mo65

Sounds like it was a great time despite the slow action. Ya just never know when mr. skunk will show up. :-\

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Glad you had a good time despite Pepe L Pew being aboard.  I would like to meet Baja Bev, I understand she lives in my area.  Were any photos taken of the fish caught?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

bev swung by yesterday to return a set of loaner rods and reels for her friends.  nice lady!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Aiala

Quote from: Dominick on August 30, 2016, 05:30:12 PM
Glad you had a good time despite Pepe L Pew being aboard. I would like to meet Baja Bev, I understand she lives in my area. Were any photos taken of the fish caught?  Dominick

Yup! Here's a sampling:

So you see, some of us lucked out.   ;)

~A~

handi2

It seems the captains would have a subscription to a satellite service to view chlorophyll, sea temps, currents, and waves. Maybe that service isn't available in that area??

I have it so I know where to go and not go.

Anyway I know you'll catch them up next time.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Aiala

Quote from: handi2 on August 30, 2016, 11:30:49 PM
It seems the captains would have a subscription to a satellite service to view chlorophyll, sea temps, currents, and waves. Maybe that service isn't available in that area??
I have it so I know where to go and not go. Anyway I know you'll catch them up next time.

Keith, of course all the long-range skippers have those satellite links; unfortunately, there was a thick marine cloud cover which prevented readings, and no other boats were down in that area to advise Tommy about the poor conditions.  :(

~A~

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!