Ohio River Catfishing Video

Started by mo65, September 03, 2016, 10:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Thanks for sharing Mo. that looks like a lot of fun.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

USN_ED

WOW!!!  30-lb test on his reels huh.  That would be ok with C-6000 and C-7000 sized reels but maybe just a tad overkill for my liking in those circumstances.  Still, those cats can be pretty tough and stubborn when you're trying to get them up off the bottom.

Yeah, I figure 20-lb test will be plenty on the Mag 10.  That's what I'm going to spool on mine.  I figure that will give me about 200-yards of line on the reel - plenty here where I am now as I'll be mostly drift fishing reservoirs - 10 to 20-feet deep in most cases.
ED

mo65

Yep...those 6500s and 7000s seem to handle the 30lb. fine. He even uses a 40lb. mono leader! Now personally, I like to use a 20lb. leader. Then if snagged, I can pull slowly and break the leader, only loosing a hook. Everything above the swivel comes home...saving me about $4-$5 bucks. Dale says "Yeah...and someday a 70 pounder will bust your little 20 pound line". Hee hee...I'm glad he's that confident in my fishing ability. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

USN_ED

That 70 pounder may not necessarily break off that 20 lb mono.  I've seen plenty of fish caught that weighed way over the lb test line that was spooled on the reel.  Now, that's not the rule of course but it does happen often enough.

I gotta say though that I've never run across anyone that wrapped their rods with electrical tape.  Seems like it would interfere with the rod's action.
ED

mo65

Quote from: USN_ED on October 11, 2016, 06:13:00 PM
That 70 pounder may not necessarily break off that 20 lb mono.  I've seen plenty of fish caught that weighed way over the lb test line that was spooled on the reel.  Now, that's not the rule of course but it does happen often enough.

I gotta say though that I've never run across anyone that wrapped their rods with electrical tape.  Seems like it would interfere with the rod's action.

I hear ya Ed, I've caught plenty of 30-40lb. cats on a 20lb. leader. I'll be the first to admit the heavier leader will aid the average charter customer...but I'm not making $500 a trip to replenish lost terminal tackle...LOL! I needs my sinkers back! ;D  I'll have to say I've never noticed the tape on the rods affecting performance...other than looking funny. It does appear to keep those shad scales from sticking to the rod. I can't figure out how he gets it to stay on. Everything I wrap that crap on it stretches back off...leaving a gooey sticky mess. :D

Rivverrat

Years ago I fished 7000 C's exclusively. Loaded with 40 lb. Big Game fished @ 12- 13 lbs. of dag. After getting spooled 3 times one year & 2 the very next on the Missouri River I began a life long search for better reels. That search leading me here to this sight. My son & I still use those 7000's on the lakes but not the river. I converted them to CT frames...no  level wind. Lost track of how many times the gears set has been replaced in one of them. None of them look new but they still work as well or better than new. These reels have put a lot of big cats in the boat & brought many to the bank. I like them a lot.

However they lost a lot of very nice big Cats because they lacked the guts & strength to get it done in the situations I fished....Jeff

newport

Quote from: Rivverrat on October 16, 2016, 01:08:12 AM
Years ago I fished 7000 C's exclusively. Loaded with 40 lb. Big Game fished @ 12- 13 lbs. of dag. After getting spooled 3 times one year & 2 the very next on the Missouri River I began a life long search for better reels. That search leading me here to this sight. My son & I still use those 7000's on the lakes but not the river. I converted them to CT frames...no  level wind. Lost track of how many times the gears set has been replaced in one of them. None of them look new but they still work as well or better than new. These reels have put a lot of big cats in the boat & brought many to the bank. I like them a lot.

However they lost a lot of very nice big Cats because they lacked the guts & strength to get it done in the situations I fished....Jeff
You ever consider using lighter line to get more line capacity? Seems like line capacity is more important than line strength for those catfish. 40lbs mono is way too heavy for a 7000 Ambassadeur, in my opinion. I would be too concerned about getting spooled myself. I use 15lb to 18lb mono (depending on brand) for an 6500 size  Ambassadeur or equivalent for surf casting. The 7000 would be perfect for 20lb line, perhaps even go 30 if I am fishing a shallow wreck.

Rivverrat

I've since gone to different reels for 98 % of my fishing for cats. Like I said that was years ago. I need heavy line with more drag than a 7000 will ever make along with the capacity to turn the handle quickly & easily.
I am convinced that 15 lbs. or less drag in open water would whoop the the biggest cat that swims in North America. However open water is not where I fish most of the time. Line capacity for me is seldom an issue with catfish. A reel with a 100 yards of line that produces 15 lbs. of drag would work just fine in most cases for most people. Not that that is the set up I would choose I'm just saying it would work. The times I got spooled I was just completely under gunned for the situation. 2 of those fish that did it where very nice, quality fish the others I never saw....Jeff

mo65

Quote from: newport on October 16, 2016, 01:29:33 AM
You ever consider using lighter line to get more line capacity? Seems like line capacity is more important than line strength for those catfish. 40lbs mono is way too heavy for a 7000 Ambassadeur, in my opinion. I would be too concerned about getting spooled myself.

For most catfishing...line capacity is not a concern. Catfish aren't Tuna...they don't make long fast runs...they bury into cover. That 40lb. mono with drag set at 10-15lbs. is a proven set up for the 7000. Although it isn't my first choice rig...it works very well and catches big cats year after year.

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on October 18, 2016, 01:33:40 PM
Quote from: newport on October 16, 2016, 01:29:33 AM

That 40lb. mono with drag set at 10-15lbs. is a proven set up for the 7000. Although it isn't my first choice rig...it works very well and catches big cats year after year.

No truer words have ever been spoke. 40 lb. mono on a 7000 has been the standard for many years & as you state it still works well for most people....Jeff

newport

I know what you guys mean. For freshwater, fishing for channel catfish is mostly what I do, for the fight, but also because they're pretty dependable. I know the catfish don't get as big as in the south, but I know they like to get into structure too. I'd just hate to lose a fish of a lifetime because the fish decided to make a run, and I didn't have enough line. I just thought the 7000 was kinda small for the line weight and drag setting, but I understand how region specific techniques or style of fishing can be. Where I fish, most people surffish with spinning reels, while I'm one of the few fishing with conventional gear. On a boat, well that's a whole different story.

foakes

Thanks for sharing this, Mo --

For me, its all about seeing a well equipped and uncluttered boat, good gear, serviced obviously, experienced skipper and capable fishermen.

No wasted or clunky movements -- just experience, preparation, and the ability to get the job done with humility.

Impressive Blues.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.