Abu Record 51 Spool clearance?

Started by yarddogs, September 07, 2016, 07:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarddogs

I cleaned and serviced my Record 51 this spring and loaded it with fresh 12lb test Ande Tournament monofilament. Every so often I get a backlash or some fluff and the mono gets stuck between the spool and the frame. Any remedy for this or reasons why this is happening? The reel gets used very often and this  never occurred before  Thanks Paul

alantani

you may just have to bump it up to 15 pound and see.  hopefully it will not happen again.  i would hate to have you go to 17 pound, or 20.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tholmes

Check to be sure that the spool is properly centered in the frame. If it's off center, it could create enough of a gap for the line to get in.
I routinely use 12 lb. Trilene Big Game on my Record 50 and have never had any issues.

Tom

yarddogs

Thanks. What would make the spool be off center? The line does get caught on the right side only, so that is probably the problem. My "thorough" cleaning may be the culprit, when doing the  reassemble. Paul

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

GulfOfBothnia

Spool is centered by shims, under cast control knob and in the side plate (in non-handle side).

Knob is set so that there is no sideplay or very little sideplay on the spool. Depends on the casting circumstances (wind, lure weight...)

http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_Record_51_15_00_Thx_KD.pdf

In the diagram shims seem to be part numbers 12108 and 20197.  If spool goes too deep into non-handle side you may need to add shim(s) on that side.

cbar45

Ande Tournament is a bit thinner than their regular stuff.

Of course, if you've always used 12 lb. Tournament then line diameter shouldn't be a factor.

Just a thought.

yarddogs

Im going to try the shims. This reel gets a lot of work and I can see where the shims could wear.