Tyrnos 16 Corrosion!

Started by Whiteman, March 24, 2011, 05:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteman

Have a look at what's happening to my Tyrnos 16 - only 12 months old. Any ideas what causes this?

Bryan Young

Holy cow.  I would suggest contacting Shimano right away and email them pics of the problem.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Whiteman

Shimano where? I'm in Oz and purchased from a Japanese site. Received Dec 2009 and it has had 10 reef trips since then.

The corrosion is all over the frame, some bits (pictured) worse than others. This is supposed to be diecast aluminium. It should be able to withstand serious salt water. It gets washed after use although I'm not the sort of person who treats these things like their newborn children. This sort of bubbling in aluminium usually occurs because of electrolysis, not because of salt residue alone, otherwise my to aluminium boats would be cactus by now.

Maybe I need to attach a sacrificial anode!

alantani

first guess, defects in the anodizing.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

I believe the frames of Tyrnos series reels are cast and painted, not anodized. I see this sort of problem, though rarely as severe, on many of the Tekotas and Tyrnos I see in the shop. They must be kept clean and once the paint chips the corrosion follows quickly...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

ReelSpeed

Yep, that is cast aluminum and painted.  Anodizing does not bubble like that since it is not a coating like paint.  Big downside to cast aluminum is the porosity that is commonly found in standard cast products.. once you get any contamination, it can spread.. and depending on the quality of that run of cast frames, it could have been more susceptible to corrosion like this.  either way, still looks more like a defective issue, than a maintenance issue, since that seems a bit excessive.  maybe call shimano.
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Nessie Hunter

I would contact Shimano AU, and see what they will/can do for you.. 
That would be unacceptable to me in 1 yr!!!

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Whiteman

I have posted a message on the Shimano Australia site. Don't know if they will reply.

alantani

i think it's leprosy.......  :-\

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Whiteman

Alan, funny you should mention that .... I have fished just off Fantome Island in the Palm Island group of Nth Queensland a few times with this reel. Fantome used to house a leper colony right up to the mid 60's. Could it be something in the water?

wallacewt

alantani

actually, like aaron said, it's the paint job!   :-\

Whiteman

Is this simply a cosmetic problem or will the corrosion affect the integrity of the reel in a fight to the death with a large fish? I don't care what it looks like so long as I can trust it staying in one piece.