Tyrnos 16 Corrosion!

Started by Whiteman, March 24, 2011, 05:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmer

Never seen anything like this, could you possibly strip the bad paint job and powder coat it?
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

alantani

it will work just fine.  i'm betting shimano.au wants nothing to do with this discussion.  i'd also bet that we could call shimano.us, then ship them the frame and they would send us a new one.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelSpeed

Like Alan said, the reel should function fine.  It is more a cosmetic thing than anything.  and I don't think you could powder coat it because the tolerances might be too tight.  Usually if you want to powder coat a piece, you need to plan for it in the tolerances.  I guess you could have someone strip it down and repaint it, they would just have to really be sure to clean out the pores before the next paint job... otherwise the same thing can happen.  Again, all this is just for cosmetics though...  :-\
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Whiteman

Thanks guys. I might put a bit of Penetrol on the bad bits to seal any air away from the metal.

Whiteman

To tie up the last loose end on this thread, I received a reply from Dunphy Sports Fishing Imports (Shimano Australia) ...

"No it will not affect the reel's performance in any way and will never go right through the frame. If you eventually wish to have the frame replaced the cost for one is $65+GST and postage."

I will let it continue on its merry way as it has character and unlikely to be stolen!

alantani

continue posting pictures of shimano's poor stepchild and you may attract their attention.

Dominick

Good advice Alan.  I would go directy to Shimano in Japan.  Do they have small claims court in Australia?  I would sue the importer, for selling and distributing defective products.  So what if it is cosmetic.  All my reels look cosmetically nice.  One wants to take pride in his equipment.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

that would involve every reel manufacturer in the whole world,or any other big place. ::)

alantani

well, yes, but if i had a reel company and i saw one of my reels that looked like that, i would want it fixed. 

wallacewt

and if they dont?  3 months ago zebco said they were sending out a replacement seat for my new finnor ma20.they are all the same,they just suck and blow.aust; is worse.

Whiteman

I mentioned this problem on an AUStralia FISHing site and it seems that there are others with Shimano reels like mine. It's not a good look for Shimano and I'm glad that I've never been too concerned about the way things look, more about function, as this would drive me nuts!

wallacewt

shimano aust; are full of it.they wont honour the warranty because"IT DOESNT COME UP TO AUSTRALIAN STANDARDS"if you buy overseas.what a lot of rubbish.the reels are the same.esp; yours whitey,bought from a japanese site.maybe a shame file for the serious faults.run for a month with photos.things like,tyrnos,revo,my pet hate pretest braid,let the moderators judge if its bad enough.make this site stink with the
manufacturers,but just maybe we could make a diff;other sites may join in if it was done properly and not frivorviously.how do you spell that word.?other sites may join in if it was done gooder! ??? ???frivolously!

alantani

for what it's worth, here is my understanding of the shimano situation.......

shimano cares about the japanese market.  japan is a very strange place.  the market for fishing reels is unlike anything else in the world.  shimano japan sells reels to the rest of the world as a simple courtesy.  and don't get me started on japanese courtesy.  so if shimano japan is winning in japan, that is all they care about.  and if it's good enough for japan, then the rest of the world should accept it with open arms.  after all, japanese are the best......  >:(

Irish Jigger

I'm would bet that reel was made in Malaysia or Taiwan where the quality is not up to Japanese standards. Nevertheless it's a Shimano reel and Shimano should do the "honourable" thing and at least replace the reel frame.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 31, 2011, 09:00:28 AM
I'm would bet that reel was made in Malaysia or Taiwan where the quality is not up to Japanese standards. Nevertheless it's a Shimano reel and Shimano should do the "honourable" thing and at least replace the reel frame.

You hit the nail square on the head, Irish!  Something like "saving face"?
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD