Virg's Monday 9/19 special pricing on 3/4 day trip...$36!

Started by pjstevko, September 15, 2016, 03:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

pjstevko

Nice going guys, way to pick up a few fillets!!!

Looks like we all missed a great time and awesome food...oh well theres always next time..or the time after that...

Rancanfish

Well, I might be a bit slow but from my observations I've determined something.  I want to be friends with the cooks!

Tim's Alfredo would quickly have me looking for a fork and a nice piece of sour dough.  And then Wai's steamed fish,  wow another favorite. 

And to top it off, a bottle of Jack?  Looks like a perfect weekend to me.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

theswimmer

Quote from: Porthos on September 21, 2016, 03:25:17 AM
The Olive rockfish is one I have never caught in SoCal so tonight I cooked the one I caught from Morro Bay.

The prep:

...ready for steaming:

...in the wok for steaming:

...and the finished product:

Wai I am sorry I missed this one , , even if the fishing was slow.
I prefer the flavor of the Olives for what ever reason.
What ingredients did you use for steaming?
I started separating my fillets by species a few years ago , there is a significant difference in flavor from type to type.
I prefer the Olives and Reds as well as the smaller Lings.
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Porthos

The following assumes that the fish has already been gilled and gutted. Will need a steamer with a rack (or something) for plated fish to sit above the boiling water.

• 1. Scale fish and scrape out as much remaining bloody residue from cavity; rinse.
  • 2. Dry off fish of excess water
  • 3. Lay fish on steaming plate. On each side of fish, use knife to evenly score 2-3 times, top to bottom
  • 4. Lightly salt each side and the cavity
  • 5. Take julienne green onions and julienne/sliced ginger and stuff cavity
  • 6. Place julienne green onions and julienne/sliced ginger on side of fish facing up
  • 7. Boil up water in covered steamer until steaming (will need enough to complete cooking without drying up)
  • 8. Place plated fish into steamer on to rack in steamer and cover. Steaming time: 1 min/oz up to 10oz, for EACH oz above 10oz add 30secs. (After steaming enough fish, you'll get a good sense of the time needed without weighing)
  • 9. Two minutes before fish is finished steaming, take a small sauce pan and heat up several tablespoons of cooking oil with a couple of dashes of sesame oil (quantity will depend on sized of fish) until it starts to smoke (usually about 1-2 minutes, do not burn the oil !!!).  Shut off burners to both fish and oil and drizzle heated oil on top of fish. Be carefull of splatters when doing this.
  • 10. Drizzle soy sauce on fish and serve.

I usually just scrape the skin off and eat only the meat; be wary of the bones when getting meat from the rib cage regions. When steaming whole fish, remember to get the cheek muscles (the best part!!!) out of the fish head. No skin because I read somewhere that the fat under the skin has higher concentrations of accumulated toxins than the meat.

theswimmer

Thanks!
I couldn't figure if it was all scallions or some other green vegi.....
I will give this a try tomorrow night!
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Big Tim

Wai,that looks fantastic. I want to know what you did to make sure your fish was free of any pathogens  ;D Inside joke guys...looks great my friend.

BT