re grease new drag or not

Started by ScottOz, September 17, 2016, 09:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hi  All,
          About to do a pre use service and corrosion protect on my NEW Tyrnos 50 2 speed.The question I have regards the drags washer.Should I regrease this to make sure it is done correctly even though the reel is brand NEW? If yes do I need to use Shimano grease or is it better to clean and use some tan coloured cal's.Also should the bearings be cleaned of factory grease before repacking with yamalube marine grease? Is brake cleaner ok to use to clean out bearings if need to do? This is my first 2 speed pull down, so I am a little nervous about it.Have read the tutorials on the TLD 20/30 2speed a few times so it's time to jump in and have a go.
Thanks Scott.

Fish-aholic

A sweeping "yes" to all your questions.

Shimano drag grease or Cal's - either is fine. Just remember to wipe excess grease from the working surface of the drag washer.

Happy screwdriving!  ;D

Steve

ScottOz

Thanks Fish-aholic,
                           Got some cal's and when I have some time I will give it a full once over.

handi2

Yes to all too..!

Break cleaning spray doesn't stink as bad as carburetor cleaner. Its what i use everyday.

Clean and pack the pinion bearing full of grease. The other bearings can use oil only. You can fill the bearing in the drag pressure plate with grease also.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ScottOz

Cheers Handi2,The new tyrnos will be used for sharking off the beach so I want to give it as much corrosion protection as possible.

ScottOz

Just done the pre use grease and corrosion protect.Stripped fully and bearings repacked, drag done with cals grease.Took me along time to do and was nervous about it since only used to single speed TLD reels.The only concern I have is the amount of play in the handle.Not sure why it's there or it may have been there before I started.Also noted that the grease from factory was a gross dark grey colour but plenty of it everywhere.

ScottOz

Just had another look at handle play.Think the culprit may have been the handle nut being a bit to loose.Had to put more pressure then would have liked to go to next point where the 2 speed much lines up with hole.maybe should have taken a shim out.handle nut was very easy to undo when took apart.Think play was there all along.square hole in handle seems to slop a bit when it's on handle shaft??? Anyone else had this problem?

ScottOz

Took the new Tyrnos out for it's first trip last night and picked up our first big shark.Very happy with how it performed.Thank's to all those that helped with giving advise on setting up the new rod, reel combo.Shark measured at 257cm or 8ft5inch.
Scott

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mizmo67

Quote from: handi2 on October 29, 2016, 10:13:13 PM
"GREAT SCOTT" !!!

I saw what you did there. It's that time of year  ;D
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

exp2000

Quote from: ScottOz on October 29, 2016, 09:03:40 PM
Took the new Tyrnos out for it's first trip last night and picked up our first big shark.Very happy with how it performed.Thank's to all those that helped with giving advise on setting up the new rod, reel combo.Shark measured at 257cm or 8ft5inch.
Scott

Good onya mate. Well done.

What kid of shark is that and whereabouts are ya catchin these things?
~

ScottOz

We think it's a Sandbar Whaler shark.Got it on Bribie Island beach,Qld,Australia.

Rothmar2

Yeah, that's a solid bitey no matter where you're from. Must be a lot of them around up your way from all the media reports lately. ::)

ScottOz

Hey Rothmar,
                     Yeah seasons starting good.Put the baits in at 4.30 and had no bites by 9.30 so started packing up then the big bait went offbut didn't hook up so put it back in the rod holder.2 mins later the tld25 went off.Hooked up but after 1min line parted.Think rub on bottom .By this stage I was not happy,then the big rod went off again and it was game on.Just got latest issue of bluewater and it has a picture of Kyle Longmore's 263.5kg sword he got on Leo's boat.What a cracker.Have you got a sword yet?
Scott

Rothmar2

Yep, got mine, 137kg.....

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10286.120

If doesn't take you to it in the above link, its on page 9.