Imported Reel Knockoffs.. Mini-Rant...

Started by ReelSpeed, March 26, 2011, 06:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onemako

Hi Bryan I was aware of the two reels you mentioned. I want get into a debate over this reel versus this reel. It would be like chevy vs ford. I am glad to see that these two companies are US made. They dont fit my specs and I dont want to list my specs. It is only my likes and dislikes that I base this on, and I know alot of people can give me all the pros as to why I should own one or the other.  I have fished with both brands and they were owned by friends of mine. Tight lines my friend.

Bryan Young

Buahahahaha, I forgot Penn still makes reels here in the US.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

onemako

yes sireeee, and that is over 98% of my fishing arsenal. Go Penn and hopefully they will bring all the penns back home.

smnaguwa

I would love to get one at the estimated price for my 5' daugther who had a hard time with the large reels used for Alaska halibut.

Makule

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 03, 2012, 04:57:29 PM
Buahahahaha, I forgot Penn still makes reels here in the US.

You forgot Penn????  What have you been drinking, and what kind of meds are you on?  Can't be you're getting "long of tooth" and "short of recall".

That's like saying you don't know a guy named Sal who modifies reels (maybe even worse). :)
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

Makule, that's because I cannot afford any of the USA made reels Penn makes.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ez2cdave

Quote from: ReelSpeed on March 26, 2011, 06:44:38 PM

I am/was looking at being a rep in SoCal for one of these overseas reel companies as a entry-level, startup reel in an upcoming line of reels would be made entirely in the USA.  The difference is that I would only be selling them for around $125!  And I would probably not sell a single reel without a complete service first, which would be included in the price!  If you are paying over $200 for any reel that looks like these.. believe me, you are making someone a rich man!    

When you show me a lever drag reel completely made in the USA for $200 or less that has SS Gears, CF drags, AR Bearing & Silent Dogs, Fully Greased non-spool bearings & lightly oiled spool bearings,a solid Aluminum frame, Thrust bearings to prevent handle binding, at least Type III Anodizing, then I will be impressed!  Oh wait, that is what I plan to release!  PM me if you are interested in a reel like that!  ;D

-Aaron

So, whatever happened about these reels you were talking about ???

Djamiller

Quote from: ez2cdave on December 19, 2013, 02:34:41 AM

I am/was looking at being a rep in SoCal for one of these overseas reel companies as a entry-level, startup reel in an upcoming line of reels would be made entirely in the USA.  The difference is that I would only be selling them for around $125!  And I would probably not sell a single reel without a complete service first, which would be included in the price!  If you are paying over $200 for any reel that looks like these.. believe me, you are making someone a rich man!    

When you show me a lever drag reel completely made in the USA for $200 or less that has SS Gears, CF drags, AR Bearing & Silent Dogs, Fully Greased non-spool bearings & lightly oiled spool bearings,a solid Aluminum frame, Thrust bearings to prevent handle binding, at least Type III Anodizing, then I will be impressed!  Oh wait, that is what I plan to release!  PM me if you are interested in a reel like that!  ;D

-Aaron

Thats what I'm wondering!

OldSchool

Quote from: ez2cdave on December 19, 2013, 02:34:41 AM

I am/was looking at being a rep in SoCal for one of these overseas reel companies as a entry-level, startup reel in an upcoming line of reels would be made entirely in the USA.  The difference is that I would only be selling them for around $125!  And I would probably not sell a single reel without a complete service first, which would be included in the price!  If you are paying over $200 for any reel that looks like these.. believe me, you are making someone a rich man!   

When you show me a lever drag reel completely made in the USA for $200 or less that has SS Gears, CF drags, AR Bearing & Silent Dogs, Fully Greased non-spool bearings & lightly oiled spool bearings,a solid Aluminum frame, Thrust bearings to prevent handle binding, at least Type III Anodizing, then I will be impressed!  Oh wait, that is what I plan to release!  PM me if you are interested in a reel like that!  ;D

-Aaron

I think they found the error in the maths on the business plan and set up manufacture in china.

Aiala

I, too, am a classicist: I love buying and upgrading the old USA-made Penn reels, because they have never let me down. In over five decades of fishing, I've lost plenty of fish, but never once because of a reel malfunction. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Nothing like an oldie but goodie! (I mean the reels, not me.)  ;D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Mandelstam

I'm not an economist (nor would I like to be) but I can understand that it's a difficult market if you want to produce something with little compromise when it comes to quality and materials. There is already a lot of those reels out there for sale and most of us owns many. They were made sometimes decades ago but will continue to serve their master with a little love and attention. And for the most part they are, in relation to their quality, dirt cheap. For instance, here in Sweden, since the collector's value is quite low for old fishing reels, you can buy an 70's Ambassadeur 7000 for 80-90$. Superb quality. As a manufacturer you haven't got a chance to compete with that with a new reel.

It's like toothbrushes and razors. They reached their technical peak a long time ago and all companies can do now is to come up with new, made up, improvements and sell it by massive PR.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Aiala

Quote from: Mel B on April 01, 2014, 08:58:27 PM
Quote from: Aiala on April 01, 2014, 04:29:02 PM
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
just modify/better/improve it... :)

A-yuh... and the possibilities are almost limitless!  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

basto

The Chinese also make some very good and expensive reels. They can manufacture to a low or high budget.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: basto on April 02, 2014, 04:48:46 AM
The Chinese also make some very good and expensive reels. They can manufacture to a low or high budget.

like the JMs...