Imported Reel Knockoffs.. Mini-Rant...

Started by ReelSpeed, March 26, 2011, 06:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MFB

I am constantly amazed by the new rhetoric they come up with to hock off toothbrushes & razors. Technology has given us major advances in bearings, lubricants, machining tolerances, braid, mono, composite materials & alloys. These have real features and benefits when it comes to fishing reel production for function, cost & reliability. The newest reel I have is a Shimano Stradic 4000FJ it is superbly balanced & smooth better than the Shimano bait-runner series reels I own. This due to a newer design & materials.  Technology is good when advances products for the end user, not so good when it is used for hype or to cut corners for the for sheer economics. I would be surprised if anyone is still fishing with horse hair or cat gut. Even die hard fly fishermen no longer use silk lines. I'm sure anglers like Isaac Walton & Zane Grey fished with the best materials & technology they had available at the time.

Rgds

Mark

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

erikpowell

Now that you mention it Mark, I have a bone to pick... ;D

I have to fish a Stradic 4000FJ now since my 4000FL (2011-12) took a dive overboard.  >:(
I'm not a fan of the newer models "bling", added features, redesign, or pearly finish.
The older model was much better. Equally as smooth, but better built..with interchangeable spools... AND a free extra.
;)
Shimano made us all bend over and accept the FJ as a better reel... hogwash.

MFB

Hi Erik,

Having not had any Stradic models before I am not really qualified to comment. I completely agree with you on the spare spool issue a miserly cost saving measure by an accountant who in all likelihood has never seen the sea. I thought some of the original Stradic's were white? & Erik a Kiwi would have no hesitation in diving over the side in a heroic effort to save a beloved rod or reel. ;D

Rgds

Mark   
                                                   Isaac Walton

Mandelstam

Quote from: MFB on April 02, 2014, 07:51:33 AM
I am constantly amazed by the new rhetoric they come up with to hock off toothbrushes & razors. Technology has given us major advances in bearings, lubricants, machining tolerances, braid, mono, composite materials & alloys. These have real features and benefits when it comes to fishing reel production for function, cost & reliability. The newest reel I have is a Shimano Stradic 4000FJ it is superbly balanced & smooth better than the Shimano bait-runner series reels I own. This due to a newer design & materials.  Technology is good when advances products for the end user, not so good when it is used for hype or to cut corners for the for sheer economics. I would be surprised if anyone is still fishing with horse hair or cat gut. Even die hard fly fishermen no longer use silk lines. I'm sure anglers like Isaac Walton & Zane Grey fished with the best materials & technology they had available at the time.

Rgds

Mark      

Mark,
I'm very aware that the technological progress hasn't stood still and I'm glad for it! But in a lot of products you don't notice that. They use inferior materials, lesser tolerances, etc, etc. We have the technology to build superior products but they would be too expensive so we don't. As a general rule.

And we (the customers) have a part of the responsibility. We WANT new models and new inventions, but we don't want to pay a fortune.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Irish Jigger

A lot of them are throw away reels having no spares as a back up :(

OldSchool

Its all economic and made to price points.

Mandelstam

I've played a lot of computer games earlier and my son plays a lot now. And it's really interesting to see that many of the more popular games that live on for a long time are games that are possible for end users to write mods for and come up with new characters, maps, gadgets and stuff. Basically improve the game or at least make it a different experience than it had from the start. And I sometimes think of my passion for reels in the same way. I want them to be a good basic reel from the start but with a possibility to hot rod it with after market parts or DIY stuff. That's what I love with Penn and Ambassadeur.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

MFB

Most things can be improved, but you can't turn lead into gold. It's easier to make a good product excellent, much harder to make a below average product good. It's about using the best information and materials that you can afford & have available to you at the time. I'm not against modifications, even Appletons Rum can be improved with the addition of ice. :)

Rgds

Mark   
                                                   Isaac Walton

Mandelstam

Quote from: MFB on April 02, 2014, 06:36:29 PM
Most things can be improved, but you can't turn lead into gold. It's easier to make a good product excellent, much harder to make a below average product good. It's about using the best information and materials that you can afford & have available to you at the time. I'm not against modifications, even Appletons Rum can be improved with the addition of ice. :)

Rgds

Mark   

X2

But rum is best served without ice! ;) Maybe with a pinch of black powder like Blackbeard used to take with his, but please no ice...

:)
Karl

MFB

I only add ice during summer, In winter I usually add 1 part Stone's green ginger wine to 2 parts Appleton's. This is for medicinal purposes only as it prevents scurvy, leprosy, & the black plague. :)

Rgds

Mark   
                                                   Isaac Walton

Jerseymic

The only thing to have with a rum is another one!! ;D

Mike.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Aiala on April 01, 2014, 04:29:02 PMNothing like an oldie but goodie! (I mean the reels, not me.)  ;D

Ooh, I love it when you talk "old school", Aiala . . . LOL !!!

ez2cdave

Quote from: ReelSpeed on March 26, 2011, 06:44:38 PMWhen you show me a lever drag reel completely made in the USA for $200 or less that has SS Gears, CF drags, AR Bearing & Silent Dogs, Fully Greased non-spool bearings & lightly oiled spool bearings,a solid Aluminum frame, Thrust bearings to prevent handle binding, at least Type III Anodizing, then I will be impressed!  Oh wait, that is what I plan to release!  PM me if you are interested in a reel like that!  ;D

-Aaron

OK . . . Where are your reels ???

OldSchool

Quote from: ez2cdave on June 06, 2015, 11:13:22 PM
Quote from: ReelSpeed on March 26, 2011, 06:44:38 PMWhen you show me a lever drag reel completely made in the USA for $200 or less that has SS Gears, CF drags, AR Bearing & Silent Dogs, Fully Greased non-spool bearings & lightly oiled spool bearings,a solid Aluminum frame, Thrust bearings to prevent handle binding, at least Type III Anodizing, then I will be impressed!  Oh wait, that is what I plan to release!  PM me if you are interested in a reel like that!  ;D

-Aaron

OK . . . Where are your reels ???

Yeah? I wondered that about 1-1/2yrs ago and figured someone messed up the maths and later realised it wasn't going to happen.

fsrmn

Right on Karl, a pinch of black powder makes all alcohol better, especially moonshine :o "made by Bubba down the street with his own hands"  ;D
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.