Spectra vs. Guides

Started by Norcal Pescador, March 26, 2011, 08:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

Okay rod gurus, what are your thoughts, experiences, etc. on spectra use on rods without rollers? Should I be using all-roller rods with spectra when fishing for tuna (school-sized or bigger)? I have an 80# spectra rig with a roller stripper and tiptop, and the rest have inserts. My other spectra rig is 50# with a roller tiptop and s/s ring guides.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Rob:  I have no experience with Spectra.  This is my first season using it.  I have read where Specra cuts through rod guides and in some cases grooves roller guides.  However, One of the things I do before each fishing trip is "tune" (my term) the rollers.  I take the rollers out and clean and polish (if necessary) the bushing.  Then I put a drop of Corrision-X on them.  Then I take a length of fishing line go one and half times around the roller and work the line back and forth, spinning the roller to make sure it is spinning free.  Some of my rods have rollers with pin bearings.  I carefully remove them, and I mean carefully and put some Yamalube on them to make sure they stay in place and roll free.  If you tune the rods in this manner I expect that you will not see any problems.  Also I'm of the opinion, if the rods have a stripper roller and a roller tip the guides in between do not get much pressure on them.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

The long and short of it is.......it depends. ::)

Here's what some rod building sites say.
SiC
Is short for Silicon carbide and available on a special order basis. These are the finest rings we offer. They are diamond polished to the smoothest surface available in ceramic rings today. SiC offers the finest performance available in terms of wear, hardness, thermal dissipation and coefficient of friction.

Blue TiO, Tin Gold, Bronze, Chameleon, & PVD TiCh Over Zirconium
Zirconium rings offer similar performance to SiC at a much lower cost. Rings made from this high-end ceramic offer superb hardness, thermal dissipation and low coefficient of friction. It also provides the perfect surface for PVD (physical vapor deposition) coatings.

Zirconium
Zirconium rings offer similar performance to SiC at a much lower cost. Rings made from this high-end ceramic offer superb hardness, thermal dissipation and low coefficient of friction.

"H" Ring
Short for hard aluminum oxide. This is the highest grade of aluminum oxide available, and the ring of choice for many major rod manufacturers. This highly polished ring offers excellent hardness, wear and very low coefficient of friction. It is hard enough to stand up to all "Super Braid Lines" and offers unsurpassed value.

So... SIC is the best with ZERO guide wear from braid/spectra. Hardaloy and hiyaloy are probably the best least expensive alternative. Most all rods nowadays will have aluminum oxide guides, which does okay with braid.  The hard chromed SS guides stand up to braid fine , too. Not sure about non-chromed steel guides.

The bad thing that happens with braid and guides is when fishing in high silt/grit waters. The grit gets into the line and makes for a nice saw to cut and groove your guides. so you can't go wrong with all roller rods and probably the stripper and tip top will add greatly to lessen the guide wear.

Years ago ( 2001 or so) when Spiderwire first came out it would saw through guides like butter. Had it happen to my rod when fishing for Silvers in freshwater Alaska. Since then technology of braided lines has improved greatly with rounder, smoother line woven and  special coatings added for less wear. HOPE all THAT helped some.

Steve-O

Norcal Pescador

Steve-O,
That does help. Thanks.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

whalebreath

FWIW Just checked my  Seeker  SC665H w/plain S/S rings that's as old as the first Spectra lines- 17+ years now.

Used for Halibut in salt & Sturgeon in the muddy Fraser River constantly with 50-80# line and the rings show no wear of any kind.

Usually Tufline depending what reel I slap on.

Bryan Young

Spectra will cut though cheap metal guides.

Stainless steel, ti coated, and carbide guides will do just fine.

Any ceramic will do fine, but will stay way from using the white ceramics.  they will crack easily.  Aluminum oxide as a minumum.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

Early spectra lines were rough and far from round. They did cut through guides. But modern spectra lines are much softer an rounder. They won't harm anything but the cheapest metal guides.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

codhead

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 29, 2011, 04:45:09 AM
Spectra will cut though cheap metal guides.

Stainless steel, ti coated, and carbide guides will do just fine.

Any ceramic will do fine, but will stay way from using the white ceramics.  they will crack easily.  Aluminum oxide as a minumum.

That's exactly why I specified PacBay Minima 4 guides on my new 15lb stand-up rod.

I've seen too many fish lost and the blame laid at the fault of "rubbish" braid, when the real culprit has been a damaged, ceramic tip eye
The older I get, the better I was

riwamoto

I have some old rods built in the 80's by my dad.  He used Fuji guides and some have ceramic inserts.  Do you think they should be replaced or will they be OK with braid?

Bryan Young

Fuji ceramics were and are ahead of their time.  You should be fine with any fuji guides back them.  There are other inhertent problems with the older guides, and that is breakage.  Some break easier than others.  Do you know what type of cermaic material is used?  if not, post close up pics and I could help.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

usnbmc

so to clarify for me, i have a 2011 model 130# class stand up rod, with all pac-bay rollers.
i should be okay?
thanks
rob
She said, "Rob, it's me or the fishing", guess what?
I don't miss her, (really, really don't)!!!
Keep 'em tight!!!

Bryan Young