never seen before...

Started by Wolli, September 28, 2016, 08:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolli

My fishing friend send me his TIAGRA50W for service/repair.

Never seen such bended Reel Foot...

The trouble is that the plate is not screwed together with the housing but riveted.
Would like to upstain to buy a new housing..

Any recommendations how to fix it are appreciated

Thx and regds

Wolli

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

RUSTY OLD COLT

Try to drill out the rivets and tap the holes , then replace with stainless steel screws

alantani

if you are contemplating screws, then you have nothing to lose by first trying to gently hammering it back into place. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I have seen this, but not to this extent, on some reels. I used a pipe to lay on the reel seat where it sits on the pole and hammer the plate flat as possible and recommend that they use a clamp thereafter.   Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Here's what I would do.  First ask your friend how this happened.  It looks like the metal is too soft.  Then follow Allan's and Bryan's advice.   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

I have seen this on 2 of my customer's TI130WA reels.  He did it while trying to pry them off if badly cortoded rod seats.  I used the ORCA restoration recommendations and just clamped them to a pipe in a vice and used wood blocks, a rubber mallet, and a pipe to shape them back.  They have been fishing fine since the repair work.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

John this is a size 50 reel.  It would take a lot of torque to bend it like that.  I think the metal is too soft.  There is no indication from the photos that the reel had been pried.  I really would like to know how this happened.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

handi2

After zooming in the other leg looks cracked and bent down a bit.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

FatTuna

I've seen this on a few Tiagras before. For some reason certain models have the stand riveted on vs screwed in. One of the main reasons I sold my Tiagra 50s. The 80 has the rivets too.

I would try to hammer it first. If that doesn't work, might just be best to buy a new frame......

Shark Hunter

Maybe a truck ran over it while it was in the sand with a rod on it.
Seriously.
Life is Good!

Steve-O

All of the above! :D

I would tape the whole stand real well and put the biggest crescent wrench on the bent end and pull down. Or a correct diameter thick walled pipe several feet long and pull until close.

Then follow up with Bryan's technique by using a section of pipe or an auto body dolly with the right curves and hammer the dolly not the stand.

Then drill out the rivets and replace with a new stand and screws. ;D

oc1

I'd be afraid of trying to straighten it without removing the foot first.  You could warp the frame and ruin the reel.  Once straightened the foot will be even weaker than it was before. Two of the rivets are already loose so you might as well drill them all out and start fresh.

Could that be done with 30# of drag?  Daron's truck makes more sense.
-steve

smnaguwa

Is the broken screw a hint of what might have happened?

theswimmer

I have a 349 base that is deformed but the entire seat is tweaked not just the foot!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn