DAIWA PROCASTER PMF53H, PMF55H and PMF57H

Started by hurt locker, September 28, 2016, 10:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurt locker

Have been collecting them over the last couple of years. Similar size to the Lexa 300,400 and the 57 is a little larger than a Tranx according to the Manfacturers specs. Very simple reels to work on. Just watch out for the c-clip on the top of the gear sleeve. Not sure what years they were made exactly. Everything I could find pointed to the 1980's??

I put 6-910 Leather drags in them and they are as smooth as my Lever drags and top out somewhere above 12lbs. They will bend a MH Tiger rod right down to the ground. 5.1/1 gear ratio. Great reels and I am very happy with them and will fish them in November for Blue Cats on the James.

Big Tim

hurt locker

Quote from: Big Tim on September 28, 2016, 10:43:56 PM
Hurt, those are kinda cool. I wonder if you upgraded to carbon fiber drags if you could get a bit more drag?

BT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-carbon-drag-PROCASTER-MAGFORCE-PMF53H-PMF55H-PMF57H-/111567428588?hash=item19f9efdbec:g:We8AAOSw-nZTqapD

Thanks Tim, I had HT-100's 6-60 in a couple of them for a couple of years and they worked well but he 6-910's are  smoother in my opinion. I believe that the reels are maxed at where they are now. Appears as if the pinion is hard brass or something. They have 1 piece Aluminum frames and the drive gear is at least Jigmaster size and diameter but not quite as thick. But they already have a stainless dog. I originally bought them for the retrieve speed when drifting  big floats very deep on Lake Erie but discovered that they are also very powerful reels after I put the larger handles on them.

mo65

Great reels hurt locker...I've always wanted to try one of those...early 80s Procasters are great. I love my little Prolites for bass fishing. Never tried any this size...my guess is they're a joy to fish.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

hurt locker

Quote from: mo65 on September 28, 2016, 11:29:53 PM
   Great reels hurt locker...I've always wanted to try one of those...early 80s Procasters are great. I love my little Prolites for bass fishing. Never tried any this size...my guess is they're a joy to fish.

Thanks Mo, Hopefully they get a good work out on the James. One thing about them is they all have a disengaging level wind. That is why I only use mono on them. I am afraid braid will catch on the cast because of the angle or it will cut through the insert on the level wind. They match up nicely on several  of my cat rods.

Big Tim

At 200+ of #20 mono you should be able to use that for many applications.

BT

Bill B

Good looking reels brother....That'll hurt some fish for sure.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Rancanfish

I have one of those somewhere.  I don't recall if I ever tore it apart or not.  I know I never fished it.  It was an impulse buy on the bay 10 years ago or so.  Got it cheap.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mo65

Quote from: hurt locker on September 29, 2016, 01:57:51 AM
  One thing about them is they all have a disengaging level wind. That is why I only use mono on them. I am afraid braid will catch on the cast because of the angle or it will cut through the insert on the level wind.

I'm from the mono camp for catfishin'...so what you have 'em spooled with is my first choice. I believe mono's stretch is key for cats. This is a fish not noted for long fast runs...but violent head shakes, twists, and diggin' in like an Alabama tick. Those knot strength videos pull slow and steady...just how braid performs best. In the real world...those hard head shakes can bust that braid a whole lot faster than Berkley's scenario!
   But, I guess realistically, you could use a mono top shot, much like I do for bass fishing with spinning reels, prolly get fine results...but "key" is having stretch...some kind of stretch. I've been waiting for a hot deal on one...I should just get one. Can't wait to see how they do. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

hurt locker

Quote from: mo65 on September 29, 2016, 04:10:31 PM
Quote from: hurt locker on September 29, 2016, 01:57:51 AM
  One thing about them is they all have a disengaging level wind. That is why I only use mono on them. I am afraid braid will catch on the cast because of the angle or it will cut through the insert on the level wind.

I'm from the mono camp for catfishin'...so what you have 'em spooled with is my first choice. I believe mono's stretch is key for cats. This is a fish not noted for long fast runs...but violent head shakes, twists, and diggin' in like an Alabama tick. Those knot strength videos pull slow and steady...just how braid performs best. In the real world...those hard head shakes can bust that braid a whole lot faster than Berkley's scenario!
   But, I guess realistically, you could use a mono top shot, much like I do for bass fishing with spinning reels, prolly get fine results...but "key" is having stretch...some kind of stretch. I've been waiting for a hot deal on one...I should just get one. Can't wait to see how they do. 8)

Mo, I use the 53H with 30lb for Channels and the 55's and 57's with 40lb will be for Blues and Flatheads on the James in November or Wheeler if I get back down there. By the way, these reels all have clickers and also they are magged. Good luck with your purchase, sometimes there is a fairly long wait till any come up for sale. Three 6-60's in the drag stack and a 6-113 under the gear. Fit right in there, no muss---no fuss. If you change the handle watch how thick the replacement is. Not many threads left to tighten it down. By the way, I know all about the arms like jelly that you mentioned in your 210 thread. The Blue in my avatar caught in 2011 just barely broke 100 lbs and I couldn't pick her up for any pics.

Hamachi

I have two 55's and a 57. Bullet proof reels, solid aluminum frames, but the plastic left side plate is cracked on all three of them. I guess I'll be fishing them until I'm holding pieces of the left side plate in my hands. I'd like to see someone make an aluminum left side plate for these reels.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Bryan Young

Funny this came up. Alan just gave me a size 10 procaster for my daughter and a similar lefty for my son. Not as wide as those but same design. I need to get these babies apart, spoiled and then find matching rods for some bass fishing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

I have a pmf57h with 50lb braid on it that I use for rockfish with 4 to 8oz jigs. I got it in the nineties when I was fishing alot of rockcod tournaments. I wanted a smallish levelwind that I could fish all day and not get too worn out thumbing the line back on the spool. I toasted 2 batam 50s with 30lb doing that but the procaster is still going strong. I serviced it recently and it's a breeze to work on. The line guide looks new and it's always had braid on it. A really strong small reel and I don't think they cost very much at the time or I wouldn't have bought it. A real workhorse of a reel.
I remember back in those days how all the tackle companies would talk about voiding warranties if you were using braid on their products, especially how it would groove line guides. I've pretty much run reels into the ground fishing braid and never grooved anything, anyone really seen that happen?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hamachi

No, haven't seen any problems with the level wind guide. I've only run mono on mine though. Thinking about putting braid on to increase capacity. Straight 20 mono 200 yards is enough for most yellowtail and school size tuna when the bite gets tough. Penn baitcaster ht100's plop right in, they're not an exact match but close enough. Did anyone notice the Shimano handle on mine? That was all they had way back when. Have to enlarge the handles gearshaft hole, just make sure the locking screw lines up. It's won 5 daily jackpots and one overall jackpot on two different three day charters with the same group. Needless to say everyone knew me and those were my first two trips with that group. And they keep inviting me back! Probably to try to get their money back! Come to think of it, should be fishing with it more...
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

hurt locker

Lent 2 PMF55's to a friend who has been fishing the Allegheny River for Flatheads in early Sept. and he has done well. Here is a pic of a 32lb caught with the Daiwa PMF55. He caught a 37 and a 40 but with Abu 7000ihsn. He loves them because the clicker works well with the live bait button and  the anti reverse disengaged.