tiburon reel clamp sizing

Started by q3fishboy, October 02, 2016, 05:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

q3fishboy

Recently got a Calstar 90J but ran in to some issues with how thick the rod is compared to the width of the reel clamp posts.

A couple people suggested buying the aftermarket reel clamps made by tiburon, so I think that is the plan for now.

Just wanted to double check what size(s) I should be looking to get for the "universal rod reel clamp kit".

The sizing chart can be found at: http://www.tiburonfishingreels.com/rod-reel-clamps

However, there are a couple discrepancies on the sizing chart that seem weird to me.

For the penn fathom lever drag, it says to get an XL for the 30 and 60 sizes but to get an XXL for the 40N size.

I tried to measure the reel foot etc for the 30 vs 40N and they seem identical to me but maybe I missed something.

I also called tiburon and asked and they guy said the website should be correct but didn't seem super confident.

So, can anyone confirm what size clamp I would need for the following reels:

1)  penn fathom lever drag 2 speed 30  (sizing chart says XL)
2)  penn fathom lever drag 2 speed 40N (sizing chart says XXL)
3)  shimano torium 16 - old grey model (sizing chart says M for old gold trinidad)
4)  shimano torium 20 - old grey model (sizing chart says M for old gold trinidad)
5)  shimano tld star 15/30S  (does not appear to be on sizing chart)
6)  shimano tld star 20/40S (does not appear to be on sizing chart)

Was also wondering if someone happens to know the width between the posts for the tiburon reel clamps.

Was told that it should be about 1-3/8 inches, but just wanted to confirm before buying.

Also wanted to see if this changed with the size of the reel clamp that I bought.

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Swami805

The torium 20 should fit with the stock clamp. I use a 20 or a 30 on a calstar glass 540 and they fit fine. I think the 540 might be a little wider too. I just have 1 layer of cork tape, if your'e using a thicker material it might not work.  Hope that helps a little.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

q3fishboy

Thanks for the reply.

I measured the width of the posts on my torium 20 at about 30mm.

The blank alone measures about 28mm in width, giving me 1mm on either side.

Was planning on a thicker grip than that (1/16" = 1.5mm cork tape at a minimum).

Swami805

Maybe I'm putting my reel up higher or something. The butt on a 90 is 1.25" the 540 is 1.3". I use the torium or a 440 newell, those are the only ones I have that fit. Please post what you find out. Hope the thing works out for you.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Check Charkbait; they have after-market aluminum clamps reasonably priced in Shimano and Penn gold as well as black, with a chart should answer most of your questions that arent Tib framed. I'll compare mine today if I get a minute and get back.

John

q3fishboy

The blank is actually a calstar GG90J-MAG.  Not sure if that means it is thicker.

Took a look at charkbait and I think the aluminum clamps in shimano/penn black/gold still rely on the factory posts.

The posts themselves are what is not wide enough so I don't think these will work unless I am not understanding how they attach.

Charkbait does seem to carry a daiwa reel clamp that looks similar in design to the tiburon one, but it costs even more.

Would still love to get sizing advance on the tiburon reel clamps.

Thanks a bunch.