advice on 113H rebuild

Started by Swami805, October 02, 2016, 01:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Greetings, I have a 113H that I've had for many years. I put a 2 3/4 newell kit on it when they first came out and used it for pretty much everything on several long range trips back in the day. It was well abused and has been in mothballs for 20+ years. I picked up a topless tiburon for it and the newell spool is in good shape. I plan on up grading the internals but I'm a little confused. Pro Challenger has the whole magilla package of all beefy ss parts but then I've seen the drag insert for  drag washers. I'm not sure how that works or which one would give the highest drag numbers. Does the insert just drop in the main gear? What's the advantage over the Ultimate Upgrade 7+1 drag stack? Any advice from the experts here would be appreciated.
I missed the boat on the new style aluminum side plates but might get lucky and there will be another run, fingers crossed.
Thanks,
Sheridan 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

The inserts drop into the gear and they let both sides of the CF washer work.  I made inserts at one time but feel you will be better of using the Pro Chalenger gear that uses eared CF washers.  The inserts do work though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Swami805

Thanks Keta,clears that up for me.

Shark Hunter

Black Pearls new 113H gears are very nice.
The insert is a different animal, but packs a lot of punch.
If you wanted to just run an insert, you can do it with stock gears to keep costs down.
Personally, I like to run a Black Pearl conventional gear set with the insert.
I would at least add an ss sleeve and a ss yoke if you are going to use the BP gears.
The 113H has evolved into an entity. So many options.
I already have three, but would like to build another on that new gear set.
The parts available for it will empty your wallet in a hurry. ;)
Life is Good!

mo65

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 05, 2016, 09:46:30 AM
The 113H has evolved into an entity. So many options.
I already have three, but would like to build another on that new gear set.
The parts available for it will empty your wallet in a hurry. ;)

I only own one senator...a bone stock 2/0...way too pretty to mess with. I have an incredible itch though to do a 113H build. I've been watching patiently, waiting for a steal on one, knowing if I save on the reel purchase I'll have more dough for the bling. Meanwhile...more and more folks post their work...I'm dyin' over here... ;) :D ;D 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Thanks Sharkhunter the PB kit is on the way and the wallet on the drain.be nice to get that old solider dialed in.
Not one to leave well enough alone I picked up another 4/0 yesterday, this one an older model with black side plates.

Mo, it looks like you've been on a roll lately,those are some beautiful reels you've allowed us to droll over , very nice.
Sheridan