Daiwa Lexa 400 Issues?

Started by Lunker Larry, October 11, 2016, 02:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

I've had 2 Lexas in this week, a HS-P and PWR-P. These are fresh water reels. The issue with both reels seem to be the anti reverse pawl. I haven't diagnosed what is causing the issue but I'm guessing it isn't aligning properly or works its way off its pin. In the picture, the PWR-P is on the left and the HS-P is on the right. The pawl was completely off its pin and the copper guides broken right off on the left taking a chunk out of the yoke and breaking up the oscillating gear. The pawl was also off on the HS-P and it broke a chunk off the yoke.
Initially the muskie community here thought these were a great alternative to the TRANX and to get away from the issues with the Revo Toro NACL and Winch but they are not holding up. Users are tired of repair and are giving up on them.
Anyone else seen this or having other issues with the reel?
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Bryan Young

Quote from: Lunker Larry on October 11, 2016, 02:55:13 PM
I've had 2 Lexas in this week, a HS-P and PWR-P. These are fresh water reels. The issue with both reels seem to be the anti reverse pawl. I haven't diagnosed what is causing the issue but I'm guessing it isn't aligning properly or works its way off its pin. In the picture, the PWR-P is on the left and the HS-P is on the right. The pawl was completely off its pin and the copper guides broken right off on the left taking a chunk out of the yoke and breaking up the oscillating gear. The pin was also off on the HS-P and it broke a chunk off the yoke.
Initially the muskie community here thought these were a great alternative to the TRANX and to get away from the issues with the Revo Toro NACL and Winch but they are not holding up. Users are tired of repair and are giving up on them.

Oh, that's looks really bad.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: Lunker Larry on October 11, 2016, 02:55:13 PM
I've had 2 Lexas in this week, a HS-P and PWR-P. These are fresh water reels. The issue with both reels seem to be the anti reverse pawl. I haven't diagnosed what is causing the issue but I'm guessing it isn't aligning properly or works its way off its pin. In the picture, the PWR-P is on the left and the HS-P is on the right. The pawl was completely off its pin and the copper guides broken right off on the left taking a chunk out of the yoke and breaking up the oscillating gear. The pin was also off on the HS-P and it broke a chunk off the yoke.

There is no doubt that the Lexa is not as heavily built as a Tranx, its an issue of the large price and heft penalty. Is it the reel for one's fishing?

Looks like the dog jumped off the pin or the pin itself came out of it's slot. Once they get loose then bad things are going to happen.

I think only Daiwa can tell us if this is common. They have sold a ton of these reels.

MarkT

Wow, that looks pretty bad. I wonder how that happened? I've caught several Wahoo and dozens of Yellowtail with my Lexa 400hs-p with no issues. I have to think they put more strain on the reel than a Muskie. I was throwing Raider jigs for Wahoo and JRI 4 surface iron for Yellowail, both of which are about 4 oz/125 gm.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

I've had mine for 2 yrs. now, casting lures inshore for various reef and surf dwellers, no issues yet. However, I been waitin' to see what kinda durability issues might come up, given the price point. Got a 400 PWR-P. Thanks for the detailed post LL. Keepin my fingers crossed, I really like mine so far...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

johndtuttle

Quote from: MarkT on October 11, 2016, 05:53:45 PM
Wow, that looks pretty bad. I wonder how that happened? I've caught several Wahoo and dozens of Yellowtail with my Lexa 400hs-p with no issues. I have to think they put more strain on the reel than a Muskie. I was throwing Raider jigs for Wahoo and JRI 4 surface iron for Yellowail, both of which are about 4 oz/125 gm.

The only thing I can imagine might be a snag...yanking and yanking then the frame flexing enough for the pin to be able to get out of it's hole.

Lunker Larry

Spoke with Daiwa today. The woman I spoke to said the only issue she was aware of was "rough gears". I sent a email with the photo and she was going to forward to the service manager. I'll keep you updated.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

handi2

Thanks Larry,

I use the 400 and 300 and use them in heavy saltwater fishing. No issues so far. Only fish scales!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

PERRO

I've been using a " daiwa Lexa "  for about two years, tossing Large Swimbaits ( Freshwater / Monthly use).

I  took it apart ( brand New ) to make sure it was properly greased. The Drag system was bone dry & I used Cals Grease, along with cleaning re-greasing all the internal parts thoroughly.

NO Problems/issues with it !! However, it has now started to feel a bit rough & I'll be doing another cleaning & greasing soon.

I was a bit concerned, it wouldn't handle long term use with tossing heavier " 10+ once Heavy Swimbaits ".. ?

I just picked up a " Truth SM Surf Reel ", for a Heavy Plug/Swimbait Casting Reel.

Lunker Larry

Spoke with Daiwa today. This has been forwarded to the R&D manager by the Service manager. The R&D manager is on the road at the moment but they promised they will get back to me on this.

Lunker Larry

Got this today from Daiwa.

Good Morning Larry,

After speaking to the Service Manager & R & D guys, they both told me that they haven't seen this problem much, maybe like once or twice. They did want you to know that all of our reels do come with a 1 year warranty for manufacture defect from the date of purchase. So if you run across this problem just have the reels be sent in to an authorized service center or to us directly so we can take a look at the reel. 

Daiwa Corporation

Yetssenia Tornez

CSR Customer Service

11137 Warland Dr.

Cypress, CA 90630

Lunker Larry

I'm still waiting for the oscillating gear. Anyone know of a shop in the US I might be able to get one faster than what Daiwa can do?

Lunker Larry

7 weeks and still no drive gear (2402260) from Daiwa.

Lunker Larry

Just an update on the issue. I have done at least a half dozen of these reels with the same problem and and spoke with the repair depot where I get my parts and he said he sees it all the time and that you muskie guys are hard on these reels. I just want to give a heads up to owners to keep an eye on this and if anything starts feeling strange in the reel to stop using it. This reel felt perfectly fine. I opened it up for a guy who was going to sell it to someone.
To me the problem is the AR pawl or ratchet gear wobbles or something causing misalignment and the ratchet gear to jam into the AR pawl.

Cor

ouch...i've never seen anything like this.
Cornelis