Daiwa Lexa 400 Issues?

Started by Lunker Larry, October 11, 2016, 02:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Dang, In order for the anti-reverse pawl to come into play doesn't that mean the anti-reverse bearing or what Daiwa calls the "anti-reverse clutch" is not working? The pawl seems to be there as a backup to the ARB. I would think in order for the pawl to get that much damage it would have to suffer multiple failures over time of the ARB or one failure on a very large hard charging fish.

I'd take out the pawl and do some testing of the ARB.

Gfish

Hmmm, 6 times or more for you, Larry and Yetssenia Tornez( cool name) was only talkin 'bout "once or twice", 3 years ago. Sounds like they didn't bother to check their records back then. Who knows, in the real world where many don't contact the company about this kinda stuff, once or twice could actually = 10 or 20 times, or 100 or 200 times, etc.

I recall the ARB as not being too heavy duty. My prime suspect parts would be the AR pawl and that kinda rinky-dink, stamped-out AR ratchet, after an ARB failure.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sabaman1

Larry, thats alot of bad luck! You might want to move on and stop using the Daiwas, time to possibly think seriously about getting a Tranx soon.
JIM

xjchad

I'm thinking it's not the ARB, or AR pawl.
Looks to me like something is causing the thin copper "fingers" that hold the AR pawl to the ratchet plate to fail.  Once they fail, the pawl can come off it's pin and the chunks of copper get bounced around the gear case causing damage.
Is there a mechanical stop that limits the travel of the pawl AWAY from the ratchet plate?
Could the pawl travel too far off the ratchet on a hard cast or bump that the copper fingers come off the ratchet plate???
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Lunker Larry

Quote from: sabaman1 on September 05, 2019, 09:08:56 PM
Larry, thats alot of bad luck! You might want to move on and stop using the Daiwas, time to possibly think seriously about getting a Tranx soon.

These are all reels in for servicing. I was thinking once of getting one but started seeing this. Too bad as they're smooth as silk and a great drag.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

CooldadE

Crap! I just picked one up... haven't even put line on it yet. Wondering if I should dump it or just fish it and take my chances...if I do I better bring a back up reel . Not my preferred scenario...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

bhale1

I have to agree with SoCal here... seems to me the only way this happens is if the ARB is not working properly. Only other thing is lack of proper maintenance and the back up dog gets stuck out of alignment due to old grease or salt deposits an cannot function properly! Just speculating ;D
Brett

xjchad

Larry,
Do you have one that's getting scrapped you could send me to look at?
I've got some ideas.
Chad

Gfish

Quote from: bhale1 on September 06, 2019, 05:27:57 AM
I have to agree with SoCal here... seems to me the only way this happens is if the ARB is not working properly. Only other thing is lack of proper maintenance and the back up dog gets stuck out of alignment due to old grease or salt deposits an cannot function properly! Just speculating ;D
Brett

L.L. said in his first post that they were freshwater reels. ARB failure sounds right. Do ARB's tend to fail if used only in fw?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lunker Larry

The AR pawl is a cheap fix so the guys will fix it and use it as a back up or dump it.
Ref the ARB. I haven't seen a bad one in years and that was from years of no lubrication in older ABUs and the nylon race would wear out.

I keep thinking the whole stack may get too loose when casting and is misaligned when the reel is engaged.
Also the most damage is always to the top guide. Maybe the little tack weld that holds the guide fins on lets go. The picture shows the bottom side of the pawl and the tack weld
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Gfish

I recall a fix-tutorial for the S. Torium's AR pawl, that involved removing the dog ears and fabricating a spring. It worked on mine, but shortly after I did it, I donated the reel. AR components in the Torium also looked kinda cheap, so maybe it didn't last and perhaps it wouldn't work well on the Lexa. I don't have mine with me or I'd look into it

day0ne

One question. Are we talking about the original 400 or the 400HD.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Cor

Quote from: Gfish on September 06, 2019, 02:35:57 PM
I recall a fix-tutorial for the S. Torium's AR pawl, that involved removing the dog ears and fabricating a spring. It worked on mine, but shortly after I did it, I donated the reel. AR components in the Torium also looked kinda cheap, so maybe it didn't last and perhaps it wouldn't work well on the Lexa. I don't have mine with me or I'd look into it
Yes I did mine and fixed problem.   Trinidad DC pawl and spring fits as is.
TGT1304   Anti-Reverse Pawl Spring
TGT1303   Anti-Reverse Pawl
Cornelis

Lunker Larry

Quote from: day0ne on September 06, 2019, 06:49:41 PM
One question. Are we talking about the original 400 or the 400HD.

This is a LEXA 400 HS-P. I've seen this on the LEXA XSP, PWR-P and HSP also.
The AR pawl is the same in all the current Lexa H series - HL-PWRL-P, H-PWR-P, HS-P, H-P, PWR-P AND H-P, HSL AND HSL-P.

xjchad

Larry,
Can you post a pic of the driveshaft, ratchet plate, and pawl in position in the gearcase?