Practice Reel

Started by Gfish, October 13, 2016, 10:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Lookin over an old thread about lubes, bearings, free spool time, reel smoothness, etc., gave me an idea about gettin a practice reel. One you don't need for your regular fishin outtings. All the maintenance, repair and upgrade info., buying new/used parts, cosmetic improvements, etc.,  shared on this forum can, in this way, be tried/practiced without using your go-to gear. Mabey some low quality line on it to test drag maintenance/up-grades and whatnot. Most people here probably already have one or several avalible. But not not my novice self, which is why I posted on this particular board.
What's some a the better choices for somthin to practice on, keepin in mind personal prefrences could be: conventional, baitcast, spinning, etc. Also, ease a procurement, ease or diffulty for disassembly/assembly?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

For conventional, any Penn Senator, Level Line or the like for a start drag reel.  Lever drag, maybe a Pfleuger (they were cheap).

For Bait Casters, Abu Garcia round and low profile

Spinner - Penn SS, SSg or SSM or older Daiwa BG series

These are probably some of the most basic of reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

I'd have to say the Jigmaster would make an excellent practice piece. Not only for it's simple, service friendly design, but for the limitless choices of upgrades available. Ol' Jiggy is a blank canvas...awaiting colors! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

If using a Senator dont forget to order about 100 dog springs...... :o  You can save 30 in your repair box and 65 in the carpet.... :D   With the JigMaster the dog springs are on the bridge and easier to keep track of..... Brian has some really good suggestions....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sharkman

You are not kidding about dog springs.  Every time I tear one apart the first thing I do is put the dog spring in a bag by its self. 

mizmo67

Bryan's got a good starter tinkering list there. Those are what I started out on.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Big Tim

You would be hard pressed to find an easier reel to practice on than a Jigmaster. Tons of upgrade options as well & most likely will turn into a Go To reel. Bryans list is great.

Tim

Gfish

Thanks guys n' gal! Been checkin alla suggestions. Bryan, can't find any pfleuger lever drag reels, if that's what you meant?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Gfish on October 27, 2016, 03:52:03 AM
Thanks guys n' gal! Been checkin alla suggestions. Bryan, can't find any pfleuger lever drag reels, if that's what you meant?
Gfish
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Decker

The other thing that is nice about working on the Jigmaster is the quick take-apart feature.  With the turn of a thumb-screw and a twist of the right side plate, you have access to the gears without disassembling the frame.  Same goes for the Squidder.

Gfish

Thanks for the pictures Bryan. I tapped in "contender" and it made the diffrence. Definitely need some rebuild practice on L.D.'s.
Gfish