flex wrap?

Started by ScottOz, October 16, 2016, 11:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hi Guys,
             About to spool my new Tyrnos with 100lb power pro.Have seen here that Alan recommends wrapping the spool with flex wrap.What is flex wrap?.Here in Oz some people use electrical tape.I have always just put on a bit of mono first.The reel has a pin on the harbor for tying the line to.Thought that if line was tied around the arbor then a couple of wraps around that pin to stop any slip on spool.
Cheers.

Tiddlerbasher

Flexwrap or easyfuse or self-fusing silicon tap is a kind of tape that after being stretched and wrapped on itself will bond to itself. It is debatable whether it is actually needed but a lot of people use it when dealing with braid (me included) this is a typical advert for it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silweld-Everbuild-Silicone-Self-Fusing-Repair-Rescue-Amalgamating-Tape-Hose-Pipe-/290841223160?var=&hash=item43b77cdff8:m:mMEgnxKs9HmKbGhTWWftSIA

First up wax or marine grease the bare spool first.
Put a couple/three tight layers of the tape on your spool. I then take my braid and tie an arbour knot with 3 to four turns around the spool leaving a long tag end to extend across the width of the spool. It is then important to apply the braid under 8 to 10lbs of drag. If the braid is not tight it will dig in to itself - big problem. Loose spooling of braid is the cause of many problems with braid.

RowdyW

If the spool has a pin in the arbor it does not require any wrapping. Just tie it securely to the pin & wind it on with about 10 lbs. of drag. I like to give the spool a couple of coats of wax.     Rudy

Bryan Young

The reason why we don't use electrical tape any longer is because we have discovered water intrusion at the edges of the electrical tape that lead to corrosion.  We have not seen of this when using Flex wrap or medically known as Coban (sp?)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

the other reason that i use it is because it works reasonably well and i bought a ton of the stuff and i want to use it up!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

otownjoe

The flex wrap is readily available in the grocery store or drug store next to the bandages.

ScottOz

Ok I know the stuff.Got some that's called rescue tape.If you grease the spool won't the flex wrap slip on the spool? And how much grease to leave on spool? Very light film be my guess.

Bryan Young

Quote from: ScottOz on October 16, 2016, 07:27:45 PM
Ok I know the stuff.Got some that's called rescue tape.If you grease the spool won't the flex wrap slip on the spool? And how much grease to leave on spool? Very light film be my guess.
Brush on, wipe off. Just a micron layer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ScottOz

Thank-you for the advise.

desertfox

Quote from: ScottOz on October 16, 2016, 07:27:45 PM

So is this the same as "flex wrap"? If so I already have this in my inventory and it's great stuff.
http://www.rescuetape.com/

Keta

Vet supply stores sell it as Vet Wrap.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on March 02, 2017, 03:52:50 AM

Keta: Ruth wants to know if that is the same vet wrap that she used to wrap the horses legs with.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Quote from: Reel 224 on March 02, 2017, 03:57:58 AM
Quote from: Keta on March 02, 2017, 03:52:50 AM

Keta: Ruth wants to know if that is the same vet wrap that she used to wrap the horses legs with.

Joe

Yes it is.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

desertfox

Thanks guys that is very interesting info, really appreciate this site!!

It was a pleasure to meet Alan at the salty show last weekend.

Reel 224

Well then I have it as well. ;D Thank you.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."