Kayak/Cargo Trailer -- Completed

Started by foakes, October 18, 2016, 03:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Sue and I have been trying to do a "play-day" together -- every Friday, and sometimes two days.

Kayaks seemed like a good idea for fun, excerise, and exploration.

We wanted a small trailer so that we would not have to lift a 50 pound kayak over our heads from a car rooftop.

Checking out many of the kayak specific trailers out there -- I found that they run between $1200 to $2400 -- depending of course, on how much of a Yuppie they feel they are reaching.  And most looked like some sort of a horse racing harness rig affair.

We are really not Yuppies -- but are not complete Okies either -- guess we might be called Yoakies.

So I go to Harbor Freight -- get their Heavy Duty Haul Master with a 1780 payload, 12" 5 lugs, 2" ball, weighs 360 pounds.  Assembly was easy -- took 5 hours by myself for the trailer part.

Added accessories, gear box, "J" racks, straps, tie-downs, water proofed some 3/4" ply, added a rolling wheel/jack, locking cables, etc...

"J" racks were $34 for (2) pair -- shipped free -- from Amazon.  Very strong, plus I reinforced the attachment points.

Now we have extra room for bikes, camping gear, or whatever.

Everything came up to $503 without the aluminum box that I already had.  

Nicest thing, we can pull it with the truck and camper for overnighters with a base camp -- or just use the Outback for a day trip.

Plus, when returning home tired after a day on the water -- just unhook and roll it inside the garage.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swill88

That's beautiful! Great job Fred.

Steve 

thorhammer

Nice work Fred! I am feeling confident on behalf of the AT forum that we want your shop, toys included!!!

John

STRIPER LOU

Nicely done Fred and a heck of a savings!
..............Lou

Dominick

A fine job for a yoakie.  Nice to get enjoyment out of life.  If you head to the bay area on one of your jaunts let me know.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Way ta go Fred...have a great time...and take a lot of pics! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Before going on the road try backing the trailer into a turn to make sure the bow of the kayak can not hit the tail gate.
-steve

foakes

Thanks, Steve --

Good advice, anytime towing.

If there is an issue, these kayaks can just be adjusted a little further back on the J racks.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Good work Fred.
I went the yuppie route. ::)
Thule Goal post on the back and one roof bar.
I can haul two up there if I need two. There is a roller on the back. Once you lift the front to the roller, One person has to get in the bed to put it on the front rack. Its not that bad, and I don't have to worry about a trailer and still have access to the truck bed.
In your case, I think this was the best option. Just those two Thule pieces and the legs for the roof rack set me back $300 or so.
I bet you could load or unload both of yours while I was still untying and removing straps.

Life is Good!

swill88

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 18, 2016, 08:48:40 PM
Good work Fred.
I went the yuppie route. ::)
Thule Goal post on the back and one roof bar.
I can haul two up there if I need two. There is a roller on the back. Once you lift the front to the roller, One person has to get in the bed to put it on the front rack. Its not that bad, and I don't have to worry about a trailer and still have access to the truck bed.
In your case, I think this was the best option. Just those two Thule pieces and the legs for the roof rack set me back $300 or so.
I bet you could load or unload both of yours while I was still untying and removing straps.

Yep... Sharkhunter, just your typical yuppie.  👍

Bryan Young

Very nice Fred.  You always amaze me with your can-do attitude.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Great job Fred, I could see that  working nicely for you. I also like that tool box, but don't see any rod holders :)
You and Sue go get some enjoyment out of them.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 18, 2016, 10:11:48 PMI also like that tool box, but don't see any rod holders :)
You and Sue go get some enjoyment out of them.

The tool box was one I made out of HD aluminum, using a welder, shear, pop rivets, a grinder, and carpeted inside and out.  It served as a hidden compartment behind the back seats of a couple of Broncos I used to own.  Was good for emergency gear, tire chains, tools, firearms, etc..  Also served as a good floor.

You are right Sal -- I will likely just use a Fenwick pack rod with a Quick Microlite, Cardinal 3, Mitchell 408, Penn 716, or a Daiwa 500C.  Do not want to push my luck with too much emphasis on fishing -- however, Sue has encouraged fishing as her idea -- so I will tread easy -- and not push my luck.

Most of us are indeed very fortunate if we have wives who appreciate the outdoors.

I have friends whose wives think a wilderness experience is arriving at Macy's when the white lines in the parking lot are being redone.

Can't take it for granted.  It takes teamwork.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

newfuturevintage

That's a great setup, Fred! Makes me jealous I don't have a garage! 

I use those same cheap amazon/ebay cradles on my van. They work great. 

I have only minor words of warning: once the paint gets chipped, they rust something fierce. I'm on my 2nd set in 2 or 3 years now, but largely because I never take them off the van and get out into the salt from time to time. Likewise, the included hardware rusts fairly quickly, so I swapped out for stainless this go-around, seems to be holding up better. If you're not getting them salty, and you're storing them in your garage, they'll probably last a long time. Oh, the foam pads can stain the kayaks if you store them in the cradles, and the plastic can deform if you really honk the straps down and it gets hot (this tends to correct itself after a little while of not being in the cradles).

Here's how I move 'em (well, this was taken during unloading, post-paddle):

or when I go solo, I roll even less yuppified:

Because nothing says 'freeway stable' like a 14' kayak on a 12', sub-2000# car :)

Dominick

Hey Randy that little car looks like it will fly if you can get it to lift speed.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.