new shimano Beastmaster 50/80

Started by Navidad Nutcase, October 21, 2016, 03:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navidad Nutcase

On ebay right now, is a Beastmaster 50/80 that "has never been fished, just sat around". My question is: will that silicon ring still have suffered the fate they all do just because of age ? Tightline, you've been into these. What do you think. Also, is less that $400 reasonable for this reel?

Incidental, I repaired the 50/80 I have, using the silicon rubber material from McMaster Carr. It was not that difficult - just time consuming cleaning all that gunk out. I have fished it 4 times now, So far all is well. I will strip it down and have a look after a few more fish.Thanks for the great information posted on this site, that walked me thru the repair.
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

Tightlines667

Nutcase,

I am glad tue site was able you help you restore this classic workhorse.

Every one of these reels I have opened up has the degraded Silicone disc problem.  I think age, rather then use, is the factor here.  Still, I wouldn't be afraid to buy the reel and replace that disc with Butyl Rubber.  This along with new bearings will likely cost in the $50-$200 range for parts.  These reels have sold anywhere from $200- $450, but given the likely required service, I would look to pay less then $300 for a 50/80.

Hope that helps?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Navidad Nutcase

It does help. I was thinking along those same lines. A Triton series, as you know, has no silicon in it and although a single speed reel,it  can be purchased in the  $200-$250 range.So I figured these - with their problems - can be worth any more ,and to some , probably less.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. That's what makes this the greatest information site on the web, the knowledge sharers.

greg.
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

STRIPER LOU

Greg, don't know if you have any interest but I have a Triton 80W for sale in very good condition. Its listed in the for sale section. Maybe used a handful of times.
..........best,  ..  Lou

Navidad Nutcase

It's raining and cold here in Van. Isl. so I am inside . I been going thru my old posts and man do I need to keep up here. I don't know how the rest of you find time to open and read most of these.  There are dozens each day.

Anyway, I have fished my Shimano 50/80 beastmaster many, many times now. I've opened and everything (re: the butyle washer replacement ) is holding up well. Can't find any wear and it has drug a couple  blue and several striped marlin to the boat.
As mentioned before, it is the labour that makes the change over expensive. I don't think I'd pay over $200 for 1 of these - and then it would have to look like new.....
(as if I need any more reels at any price )

Cheers,   greg