Nep-Tuna 349HC

Started by Bill B, October 22, 2016, 05:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Stopping by a downtown Sacramento Pawn Shop, I spied a cradle reel on the rack, recognizing the Nep-Tuna and Penn I grabbed it and discovered a price tag of $29, the clerk said he just posted it on an on-line classified for $25, I couldnt pay the $27.13 for it fast enough.  Bringing it home it realized the Penn was a 349HC.

So then began the task of cleaning this up to see exactly what I have, a tear down of the reel ensured, a broken screw head required a dremel to get it out, and the previous owner had cut the tip off the dog so the anti reverse lever would not function for the knuckle buster feature.  Im going to find someone that can silver solder some material and I will shape to restore the knuckle buster feature. I believe the silver solder will be adequate because it doesnt take much strength the disable the dog.

Next was a clean up of the cradle.  The Nep-Tuna stamping was clearly seen and this cradle has been drilled for the 349 and 49 pattern, not sure if i will fill the 49 hole pattern or not, I kind of like the idea of both options, but probably wont ever use a 49 as the 349 is a much stronger reel.

I thoroughly degreased the cradle and found the remnants of a varnish finish, a wire brush on the dremel made quick work of that

Examining the locking collar shows this uses a friction fit for the rod tip, not a locking collar as found on other models

Now on to the rod.  A sticker has the name Johnny Walker, Made in the USA, BRT 7865C, measuring 62 1/2" from roller tip to male ferrule tip.  The rod diameter at the tip is 3/8" and the base is 9/16".  Rod material is solid glass. The Key Lime Pie color is interesting.  The limited amount of information available on the web, shows Johnny Walker made budget priced rods in  the 50's to early 70's, owned by J.T. Neil Co. in Detroit, Michigan.  The roller tip is broken at the ferrule and I will see if the guy that does the silver solder on the dog and do something with the roller tip.  The male ferrule measures .75".

The rod butt appears to be heavily ribbed hickory, severely mushroomed end cap held in place with a brass nail, and wrapped with two diameters of hemp or manilla twine, painted brown.  I would like to see whats under the wrapping but afraid of what I might find like a broken or split butt section.  

Reassembly was straight forward, but had to remember to place the handle side on the appropriate side of the cradle, if using a stand, it doesnt matter.

Based on my research, and I hope others will chime in, the 349HC was introduced in 1957, Johnny Walker rods were in business starting in 1950's, and Nep-Tuna started in the 1960's.  All the dates overlap, but with the caramel colored handle I would like to think the package was built in the early 60's.  Now time to get some period correct guides to rebuild this rod, three of the five are broken.  Im really happy to add this Nep-Tuna and 349HC  to the collection and hope to fish with it in the near future.  I just hope no one reports me to the police for theft   ;D.Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RowdyW

Bill, used dogs are available on ebay. That will be a cheaper & better option.      Rudy

Swami805

Hey Bill, I restore a lot of old rods. If you post a picture of the guides I might have some floating around here. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

foakes

Bill --

No use going the solder route.

Here are some new ones -- I can send along a couple with that Mitchell Oscillater gear you need for the 300.

I think you need the one marked 15-349 -- but the 49 part is what shows on Scotts for the HC? -- but I do not think that is correct.

Verify what you need, and how many -- and I will just send them along at N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Bill B

Thank you for the kind words, and generous offers, you guys rock! Fred you are right the 15-349 is the correct dog and I would be greatfull if you would send it along with the Mitchell gear.....Sheridan I will send a pm with the pictures any assistance would be greatly appreciated....and I finally got to pay it forward today, an older gentleman in the RV park broke his fishing reel beyond repair and I was able to give him Delmar 285 that I recently won in an auction.....reel has been given the "treatment" and he was ecstatic...feels good to give back..... Bill

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Bill thats a great find. I need to get out more..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

Quote from: RowdyW on October 22, 2016, 06:00:29 PM
Bill, used dogs are available on ebay. That will be a cheaper & better option.      Rudy

I have several used but in good shape factory 15-349 dogs and you can have one if Fred runs out. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Quote from: Keta on October 22, 2016, 10:11:52 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on October 22, 2016, 06:00:29 PM
Bill, used dogs are available on ebay. That will be a cheaper & better option.      Rudy

I have several used but in good shape factory 15-349 dogs and you can have one if Fred runs out. 

That's a good one Lee.. lol.

When has Fred ever run out of parts?

:)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rancanfish

Ha! You bought that right out from under me, lol.  I called my brother and asked him to go get it.

Good score.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

redsetta

Great work Bill and a fantastic find - well done!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

thorhammer

Bill, I think I have a roller tip matching what you have there if you are getting into the business of rewrapping the rod. Welcome to it, NC of course.

John

Bill B

John I would really appreciate the roller tip, thank you pm sent.....this is really beginning to be a community effort to re-hab this classic, 15-349 dog from Fred, four rod guides from Sheridan, and your roller tip....I did have the opportunity to deliver the Penn 285 to the old timer here at the park and just watching him spin the reel and the gleam in his eyes was humbling....but I did keep the 285 that has Ted's tail plate donation  ;)....now as the components arrive I will post updates.....Thank you to all who has been so generous to me and to all who have help the others here....Alan has really built a community of special people.....Bill

thorhammer

Bill, cleaning it up now and will get it out to you this week. This one is marked "Alain"; it came from an Abu rod I rebuilt for a buddy some years ago...I don't throw anything away. I think the roller may be SS; will see when it comes from the bath but is in great condition. I haven't measured ID yet but it's on the mark or very close; your builder can easily sand a solid glass blank to fit (I do this all the time).

As a historical point of the green glas, somewhere back in time I had Tru Temper with that green solid blank; wonder if the TT's were any relation to the Jarvis blank manufacturer...