Amazon screwup

Started by rippin_lips, October 29, 2016, 12:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rippin_lips

So I ordered a daiwa aird x 7'3 MH casting rod on Amazon, but they sent me a daiwa Proteus 8'0 MH conventional rod. The Proteus is about 4x the cost but it's not what I ordered. I'm debating selling it or keeping it but I don't have a reel for it, and I'm not sure how much I would use it. Anyone have any experience with this rod? Thoughts? Could it be a good tarpon or medium duty ocean rod?

Bryan Young

What's the difference in action?  They are both MH rods. is it the same line class?  What's the difference other than length?  Maybe keep and fish it one the 7'3" and you will be good to go.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

The aird-x is rated 10-20 and the Proteus is rated 15-30. The Proteus is a nice inshore rod. What were you looking to use the rod for and what reel do you have?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

rippin_lips

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 29, 2016, 12:37:51 AM

What's the difference in action?  They are both MH rods. is it the same line class?  What's the difference other than length?  Maybe keep and fish it one the 7'3" and you will be good to go.

Both are labeled as MH but completely different styles of rods. The one I ordered is a trigger grip more of a lightweight baitcaster. The Proteus I got is more conventional style with no trigger grip and is a heavier stouter rod with larger grips rated for 50-80 lb braid.

rippin_lips

Quote from: MarkT on October 29, 2016, 12:59:58 AM
The aird-x is rated 10-20 and the Proteus is rated 15-30. The Proteus is a nice inshore rod. What were you looking to use the rod for and what reel do you have?

I was going to put a Shimano 301 round baitcaster reel on the aird x and use it as a step up from my medium action baitcaster rod. Use it to throw 1/4-1 ounce swim baits and live mullet for snook, redfish and tarpon inshore. I wanted something light that I could cast a lot and carry around. The Proteus is really a larger rod all around. I could see it casting large baits but would match up with a larger reel than the baitcaster I have. It's a very nice rod though and although I don't need it, it would make a nice setup paired with the right reel. I was thinking maybe a smaller Penn squall or something? A small conventional that could still cast.

Gfish

Interesting... Rippinlips, are you saying that ya paid 4X less for the proteus than it's sellin for? Or didja pay the full cost for the proteus?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

rippin_lips

Quote from: Gfish on October 29, 2016, 04:18:25 AM
Interesting... Rippinlips, are you saying that ya paid 4X less for the proteus than it's sellin for? Or didja pay the full cost for the proteus?
Gfish

I paid 4x less. I paid for a less expensive rod.

STRIPER LOU

Great deal! Now when you purchase your other rod you end up getting 2 rod's for less than the price of one. Ya done good!!!!!
..................Lou

MarkT

I used to use straight 12# mono on my Corsair/Catala 300's and used them on Shimano Convergence 12-25# rated rods. These days I load my Calcutta/Curado/Lexa 300's with 40-50# spectra with a leader of 15-40# mono or fluoro for plastics and lures/jigs. I put them on a Teramar tmc-x80mh (12-25#) or h (15-30) or a Phenix 808mh (15-40) or M1 82mh (15-35). A 300 size reel would go well on the Proteus 80mh. A smaller conventional like a Squall 12/15 would go well on it too. On the AT June 5 day I put a Calcutta 300 with a 25# leader on the Phenix 808mh and dropped down a flat side jig for Rockfish.

Bryan Young

Well, the right thing to do is return it and have them ship you the correct fishing rod.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 29, 2016, 04:39:22 PM
Well, the right thing to do is return it and have them ship you the correct fishing rod.

At least contact and inform them.  I have had a few companies that did not want to deal with a return and I was given an upgrade.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Yup!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MarkT

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 29, 2016, 04:47:04 PM

Yup!

x3   It doesn't matter what it can do if you don't want to do it.

Gfish

Agree with Bryan & Keta. But if it aint an ethical er moral issue(with you, or surprisingly most others) forget about it, it's your thing. This opinion might qualify as the "thoughts" part of your original post.
P.S. I'm not a big fan of some of the pseudo-ethical business practices of corporate America. for example, burying important financial details in paragraphs of legal-ese print. Check out how easy Amazon makes it to sign up for "PRIME"(for $99/year!, I found out latter...) if you have'nt already. I' ll gladly lose out occasionally, if somehow I can keep their B.S. from infecting me.
I think if ya contacted 'em they'ed let you keep it at that price as a free upgrade.
I' d like to say: JMHO, but I'm never as humble as I wanna be.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

if you called them back and told them that they made a mistake, they'd probably tell you to just keep the rod.  it would likely cost them more money to pay for return shipping of your rod and new shipping for the one that they were supposed to send.  plus, the rod has now left their facility.  they would have to figure that you would have pulled the tags, maybe even fished with it before you realized the mistake, and they could not sell it as new.  meaning, it would go into the "used/defective/returns" bin to be claimed by an employee at the end of the year at 90% off. 

oh, wait, this is amazon.  they will have no idea what you're talking about!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!