Anyone ever fish the Santa Monica pier?

Started by thorhammer, October 31, 2016, 08:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I'll be there end of November and being 5 minute walk to beach, I'd like to wet a line....pier looks like the easiest as I probably won't have time  / gear for anything much else...

joel8080

Bring along a photo of a fish, that will be the only fish you will see. I have taken my Grand Son who lives in SM a few times, now if I ask him if he wants to go fish the pier, and he loves to fish his reply " Rather then going to the pier lets go to the movies"

You might have better luck at the Malibu Pier.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

swill88

I caught a small halibut off the samo pier in about '65... Can't remember the details.

Swami805

I caught a hali in 75 a little over 20lbs. I few weeks later I caught a nice 10 speed bike, couldn't have been in the water too long,it's was in pretty good shape, was one of those french ones. We had beach activities at the local cc so if the surf was flat we'd go fishing. All the piers on the coast have their moments but mostly it's about relaxing and soaking a bait.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Thanks, gents! Sounds like eating sushi on the pier with a beer may be best bet...

alantani

crud, it would be great to catch up with you again, but i'll be i puerto vallarta from nov 29th to dec 3rd.  chasing 200 pound yellowfin again. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Good luck, Boss! Put the bendo on those new stellar JV UC's!!!! I WILL be back....

Fishy247

Instead of the pier, you might try throwing a luckycraft or a Gulp sandworm (Carolina rigged) in the surf. There may still be some corbina around, and there is usually perch to be had. Some guys get the halibut pretty good on those LC's too!

thorhammer

theswimmer

John you can chum the pier , usually best if you do it the day before and early the day of .
If you are lucky you will bring up a shark , maybe a mako...,.
Best chum is fish carcass , with chicken blood in a bucket with a few small holes second.
Most piers in So Cal are dead unless you wake them up by chumming.
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn