ABU 5500 C3 free spool problem.

Started by esoxfisher, November 02, 2016, 08:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esoxfisher

I have a second hand 5500 C3, in free spool the spool did not rotate freely so I have cleaned and lightly lubricated the reel but the spool still does not rotate well in free spool although it winds just fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mizmo67

I haven't worked on these but first thing that comes to mind is have the spool bearings gone bad?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

handi2

Take the cast control knob off to see if it has the black metal piece that clips on the end of the spool shaft. If it does take it off and throw it away.

Do this after cleaning and one drop of oil on the bearings.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

exp2000

Quote from: esoxfisher on November 02, 2016, 08:44:51 PM
I have a second hand 5500 C3, in free spool the spool did not rotate freely so I have cleaned and lightly lubricated the reel but the spool still does not rotate well in free spool although it winds just fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Unscrew the knurled thumbscrews on the RH side-plate. Remove the RHS assembly and extract the spool.

Try rotating the spool on the spindle. If it is tight, your problem is likely bearings but you could also check for a bent spindle.

However, if it spins freely, your problem is in the or worm drive-train. Check all cogs and components here.
~

hurt locker

I have 2 of them that do the same thing. If you remove the non handle side, you will find that a black cap that the spool axle goes into is misaligned and is rubbing against the white level wind gear on the spool shaft. Seat it properly and put the side back on and it should free spool fine. Hope this helps.

esoxfisher

handi2 ...   I have tried removing the black metal piece I think there is some improvement but the spool still does not spin freely.

exp2000 ...  I have tested the spool having removed it from the cage and it does spin more freely, although not sure if its a good as it should be.
                 I did find one of the bearings was very tight on the spindle.
hurt locker . my reel is an older model, i think early 2000's  ( foot plate number 990403) , it does not have a black cap where the spool axle goes in just a metal 'socket' in the side plate but as far as i can see it is aligned correctly.

mizmo67..... I was thinking the bearings may be an issue, one has a couple of very small rust spots on.

Thank you all for your comments. I think i will re-check the worm drive and then look into buying some new spool bearings, hopefully that will solve the problem.

foakes

On any reel, Tim --

Quick process of elimination during initial examination of operation -- will generally yield an accurate diagnosis and a fix based on past experience.

It is easy to go with assumptions -- and these will many times be accurate.

If it was on my bench, I would:

First, back off the cast control knob -- see if any improvement in free spool.

Second, examine the operation -- looking and feeling for anything not right -- and also how the reel may have been used and treated -- plus any signs of external wear or damage.

Third, remove the levelwind mechanism worm gear, pawl, and pawl cap -- see if any improvement in free spool.  Focus on or eliminate this issue up front.

Fourth, check the brakes and brake pins on the spool to see if any are bent, not rolling free, or out of alignment.

Fifth, clean the bearings in lacquer thinner or similar after removing one of the side shields.  Re-oil and check operation for smoothness, and slow howling bearings possibly slightly corroded.

If none of these techniques have positive results -- then you can look into more obscure possibilities -- such as a bent spool shaft, gear burr, corroded pinion, something out of place or worn, tweaked frame, etc..

Without having the reel in my hands -- the most common cause and fix for your issue would be:

A complete cleaning, reassembly with synthetic oil, replacement of the worm and pawl, and 2 new bearings.

Just my opinions...

Let us know how you fare.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

esoxfisher

Thanks Fred

I am waiting for some new spool bearings to arrive and will install these as the next job.
The reel was bought from a table sale in Coarse Gold, California while I was on holiday on the USA in June.
It had a fair amount of dirt on the outside but inside seems reasonably clean.
I have some ABU lubricant and grease which I used on the first strip down, I re lubed the bearings again yesterday and the spool did spin much more easily but not as well as I would have liked, so I ordered the new bearings.
I have backed of the cast control knob and although there was a slight improvement it was not enough.

Will let you know how it goes.

mo65

One thing to consider here...these reels with small light spools just don't develop enough inertia to spin for minutes. The newer levelwinds disengage when casting and this really improves free spool, however, this is with all tension removed. Nobody fishes that way. By the time you get mags and cast control knob set, check free spool again, and you'll find about a dozen revolutions is it.
   You mentioned seeing rust on one bearing. The least little rust inside would wreck free spool, so that just may be the problem. Let us know how ya come out on this. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

does the pinion gear rotate freely on the spool shaft? also do you have the schematics?

tight lines!

foakes

Sounds like you will get it figured out, Tim.

You will get plenty of good advice from a lot of experts.

We live in the mountains -- about an hour from Coarsegold.  You must have been visiting Yosemite.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

esoxfisher

I have installed the new bearings and stripped and re lubed the worm gear, the spool is much better now.

mo65....    Thanks for that I was expecting the spool to rotate much more than it is so your comment is useful, I think I was expecting too much.
Potiguar ... Pinion gear is OK, I have several schematics downloaded from various places.

foakes ...   Very pleased with the advice received, after mo65's comments I think I have the reel as good as its going to get.
                 Yes we did go to Yosemite as part of our road trip from Phoenix to San Francisco via Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Vegas, Death Valley and Visalia. had a great time.

Thanks to all for your very helpful comments. Just have to catch some fish now! 

handi2

Exo please send me your mailing address and i will send you some excellent bearings for that reel. Just use the PM (personal message) to do so.

Keith

Quote from: esoxfisher on November 05, 2016, 03:46:57 PM
I have installed the new bearings and stripped and re lubed the worm gear, the spool is much better now.

mo65....    Thanks for that I was expecting the spool to rotate much more than it is so your comment is useful, I think I was expecting too much.
Potiguar ... Pinion gear is OK, I have several schematics downloaded from various places.

foakes ...   Very pleased with the advice received, after mo65's comments I think I have the reel as good as its going to get.
                Yes we did go to Yosemite as part of our road trip from Phoenix to San Francisco via Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Vegas, Death Valley and Visalia. had a great time.

Exo please PM me your address and I will send you some very good bearings.

Keith

Thanks to all for your very helpful comments. Just have to catch some fish now!  
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mley1

Sounds like you've gotten it sorted out. Something else you can do to improve the free spool on your 5500c3 is to add a cog with bearing, and the dual bearing worm gear. Having bearings in those two area's improved my 5500c3 a lot. It sure made casting farther much easier for me, especially with lighter baits. I did the same with my 6500cs. I guess after adding those bearings you'll end up with a c6?
Good luck fishing,

Marty

featherb8s

Older thread but (for future readers) here's a another suggestion for diagnosing whether or not the spool bearings are suspect in that reel:

There is a reducer/step-down gear between the spool gear and the levelwind gear (on the non-handle side), and it has an integrated "clip" holding it on it's axle.

Pop it off and re-attach the side plate.  This removes the levelwind (and the reducer gear) from the testing.  

(And also shows you just how much friction the levelwind is causing.)

Put some tape over the line on the spool and give the spool a couple of spins.

Without the levelwind, I'd suggest the spool should coast for "many seconds" at least.

It is harder to perform this test consistently with the side plate off as the spool axle won't be properly aligned and the spool will probably rub on the frame.

cheers